Knife For A Young Hunter.

Whoa, that’s amazing. So is that like “worthless wood” as the call it where there is a bunch of crevices and nooks and cranny? Or pieces of wood mixed with resin? I also love how the green resin is playing off the leaves in the photo. Nice shot.

Very cool. I would've loved that when I was 8. I think I was 8 when I got my first knife from Dad. A simple pocket knife, but I thought it was the coolest thing on earth.

That is AWESOME!! Especially for a young kid!! He will be showing that off to his buddies and gloating over it forever!!

Being old school, I've never though much of the resins, but with "good" handle material become more and more difficult to get, and more expensive, I suspect I'd best be changing my attitude towards the resins..... they seem to be a good answer to an problem.

That is AWESOME!! Especially for a young kid!! He will be showing that off to his buddies and gloating over it forever!!

Being old school, I've never though much of the resins, but with "good" handle material become more and more difficult to get, and more expensive, I suspect I'd best be changing my attitude towards the resins..... they seem to be a good answer to an problem.
He's a really good kid and will make a fortune if he decides to go into comedy. He's funny and loves to make people laugh. I've used a good bit of the resin composites and enjoy working with them. So far no issues with stability. I used some green and white liners on this knife to "jazz" it up a bit. It wasn't bright enough. :) . Need to get it sharpened tonight and in the mail tomorrow.

green_e.jpg

Randy, I'm a newbie and have so much to learn. Could you do a quick description of what grits you used to shape/sand those scales and then how you got the great high shine?

Randy, I'm a newbie and have so much to learn. Could you do a quick description of what grits you used to shape/sand those scales and then how you got the great high shine?
Sure. Be glad to. I start shaping handles on my grinder with a slack belt attachment using a 220 grit belt. I have some 2” belts split to 1” belts to get into the tighter places. From there it’s just hand sanding up through the grits starting at 220 then 400, 600, and 800. I rarely go above 800. After sanding I buff using white compound and then no scratch pink. The hybrid scales (wood/resin) sand easily and take a high shine.

These scales are mesquite and G-carta micarta. It was given a tru-oil finish and then buffed by hand with denim. Not as shiny but a nice finish that’s easy to take care of.
C8105FAD-1E54-4853-B318-B06842CD19EF.jpeg

Back