Knife number 100

jkf96a

I started making knives in July 2008. I'm now at knife #106, but I held the #100 slot for something special. I've got it 80% done. Blade is D2 with vine filework. Stainless guard. Buffalo, red fiber, 1/8 stainless, red fiber, buffalo. Planning on some filework on the stainless spacer, never done that before. Ruidoso juniper burl handle. Stainless pin.

100_3382-e1273289948870.jpg

Here's a pic of where I was when I stopped last night. I put in two more hours since then and have it rough shaped. A little polishing, final handle shaping, and the filework to go, then I'll glue it all up. I think I'm three hours or so away from glue-up. Maybe this weekend.

I've put together several knives with spacers, but have never had to do one where you could take it apart and put it back together. I used two 1/16 alignment pins, and it seems to be working pretty well. I also got the pin hole through the handle in just the right place so that I can drive a tapered pin through the hole in the tang and hold it all together for shaping.

I'm pondering just simple alternating half circle filework on the spacer. I've also thought of putting "100" top dead center in filework. Cool or cheezy?

What did all you famous dudes do for your 100th knife?

Boy Jason, that's a huge guard you have there!!! It might affect the knifes balance!:D:D:D When you mentioned the half circle pattern, I immediately visualized something else, what about if you had two half circle patterns, kind of interlacing with each other. At this point I went searching for a picture as an example and I found it. The design I'm thinking of looks like a DNA strand, minus the horizontal crossmembers. I thought it would be a good design to do as it circles around the handle. I have no idea if it's super difficult to do, but it's what first came to mind when you mentioned the half circle concept.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

istockphoto_321487-dna-strand.jpg

I hope I'm not talking out my butt!

Jeff

Very cool! I think you should put #100 on it somewhere, either the spine or under your regular maker's mark/stamp 2thumbs

Alright, here we are after last night's work, plus 30 min this morning. Starting to get closer... Almost ready for the filework.
100_3384-e1273330391897.jpg

Nice Jason, coming right along. I agree with James, 100 on it somewhere is a fine idea.
Dozier

RUH ROH! Had it all glued up, just setting the final pin, and CRACK!!!! The wood checked out the back side of the pin, too deep to fix. Fortunately, I guess, the glue wasn't set, so I just took it all apart. Looked through my drawer and found a nice piece of cocobolo for the replacement. Darker wood will look good, maybe even better, with the buffalo and stainless. Have the replacement inlet, just need to do some shaping and I can glue it all back together.

100_3390-e1273628088202.jpg

Here's the blowout.

Got the cocobolo handle done, glued, shaped, ready to go. Filled the filework with black epoxy that's curing right now. One or two more nights and I'll have it knocked out. Another two for the sheath, and y'all can see pics :)

Back