Knives for russian bushcrafters.

Nikov knives

I will introduce to you my project for the members of the russian bushcraft forum bushcraftru.com

Insipration of the project came from the knife of swedish bushcraft instructor Lars Falt.

mylarsfalt13.jpg

It is small flat ground with secondary edge knife. Simple and practical. My version came in RWL34, 4mm, high convex grind with desert ironwood and copper corby bolts and tube and steel buttcap, welded to the tang for protecting the handle, like on the Mors Kochanski knife.

DSCF7755.jpg

DSCF7760.jpg

DSCF7774.jpg

After some time another design appears, based on that idea, but little diferent size.
Knife_and_logo_BushcraftRU%2520big.JPG

Convex grind and welded butcap.

Some workshop pics:

DSCF7823.jpg

DSCF7860.jpg

DSCF7943.jpg

DSCF7944.jpg

And finally one of the customers requested his blade to be with handle and leather sheath: African blackwood with stainless steel corby and lanyard tube:

DSCF7968.jpg

DSCF7959.jpg

DSCF7962.jpg

DSCF7974.jpg

DSCF7967.jpg

Enjoy the pics and thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Nikov,
You have made a very nice looking Knife.

The one thing that I would like say as constructive criticism is that I would make the handle another 25mm/1" in length. By your own picture your hand barely fit's without your finger going up to the blade. I mean this to help as if anyone pounds with the buttcap, They will cut themselves.

Enlarging the the First/Index Finger will help also with this and perhaps a welded guard is in order for a bush knife like this as well?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

No, Laurence, I just have big hands, thats all. :) The handle even has some extra lenght to the pomel. That is my force grip to work with wood. Thanks for the criticism. See there is measurments up there on the sketch. It is stabile enough in my opinion for the tasks, it is not a combat knife anyway. Another issue for no guard design is that in Russia a knife with a guard is like deadly weapon for the law and if some policeman see a guarded knife without that knife is registered it will be trouble. There are very strict laws for knives there.

ya za za reashavilie was telling me thats why he lives in wisconsin and there cuz of the laws, sorry if i butcherd his names spelling, hes a great guy to talk on the phone for hours to would help you with anything.

No, Laurence, I just have big hands, thats all. :) The handle even has some extra lenght to the pomel. That is my force grip to work with wood. Thanks for the criticism. See there is measurments up there on the sketch. It is stabile enough in my opinion for the tasks, it is not a combat knife anyway. Another issue for no guard design is that in Russia a knife with a guard is like deadly weapon for the law and if some policeman see a guarded knife without that knife is registered it will be trouble. There are very strict laws for knives there.

I have heard some Crazy knife laws before, But it having a guard makes it a weapon is almost funny!:34:

I am not really big on guards myself, It's mostly a carry over from a sword. It does make sense on a fighter and some kinds of others. My hands are very large too, That was one of the reasons I started making knives. None of the handles would fit me comfortably.

Nice work!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Yeah, it is realy wierd laws there in Russia. For example a few years ago Kershaw Steven Seagal tactical folder on the other hand was qualified as civil-home use knife????!!!.......

Sorry for adding an image to your thread... but I think it fits in with the conversation on "have a guard makes it a weapon".

You can't tell me that the top 2 knives are any less purpose-built than the others. Like you said... really weird laws. :)

blades.gif

Image from EK Knives website.

Back