Kydex sheaths

BonhamBlades

Hello, I am looking to start making kydex sheaths but all of the different size rivets and belt loop attachments are confusing me. What size flared rivets do you need to attach the different belt loop attachments? Do different attachments need different size rivets? Or will one size say 3/16 or 1/4 work for all attachments and if that is the case what is the preferred size 3/16 or 1/4? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rivets and eyelets are generally dictated by the thickness of kydex you use. Personally, I prefer .093" thick kydex, which means I use #8-9 eyelets that are 1/4" dia. Eyelets also double as rivets, so I don't purchase rivets. As far as belt loop attachments....there are a ton of them available, each with thier own hole sizes and spacings. I tend to use Tek-Lok belt attchements, both the large and small varieties. I use the existing holes in the Tek-Lok and a silver pencil to mark where I drill for the eyelets. Setting eyelets by hand is an art unto itself.....for me it was always hit-n-miss....but then again I'm a picky bugger too. :) I use an arbor press and a set of the eyelet dies, and almost never have to deal with splits on my rivets.

Something that I feel is worth mentioning about kydex sheaths...... not all knife designs are compatible with a kydex sheath. Kydex holds a knife in place via pressure points.... a knife with a large guard, oddly shaped guard, or a knife with a neoprene handle are simply not good candidates for kydex...... with the larger guards, the knife is often held securely, but can be a real pain to get out of the sheath.....those with neoprene/rubber handles often have a molded in finger guard.....which will, over time get torn off by the kydex sheath. There was a time when I swore I would never make kydex sheaths.....but as more an more requests from clients came in, I changed my thinking.

Although kydex sheaths are much quicker to produce, and generally more durable when compared to the traditional leather, they have their own unique drawbacks..... for example, dirt and grit inside a kydex sheath is the quickest way to scar up a knife..... they are sensitive to higher temps..... such as being left inside a hot vehicle, or even laid in a sunny window. As with most anything we do in the knife shop..... it will take a bit of experimenting, but kydex is fairly easy to work with.

Thank you Ed as always you are of great help. I have been putting off using kydex but I am actually loosing customers because of it so its time to give in.

Thank you Ed as always you are of great help. I have been putting off using kydex but I am actually loosing customers because of it so its time to give in.

After making the first few kydex sheaths with the hand setter, I bought Boss's dies and an arbor press from Enco. Easy to modify and 1000% better than hand setting.

I really don't like kydex for my own stuff too much, but it is soooooooo much faster to make a sheath with! Which in turn, is waaaaaaay cheaper to produce. I kind of use it as an alternative to leather for those customers who are want a "user" blade and are balking at the price of the knife and sheath. I give it to them as a little cheaper option. I've had a couple guys want to buy a little fixed blade starter knife for their young boys and having young kids myself, leather is probably not a great choice. Actually, I had a customer bring a 7 yr old to my shop the other day, and when I showed the boy leather and kydex sheaths, he instantly wanted the kydex. Win win.

I use kydex for neck knives and blade covers for my culinary knives. I personally don't care for kydex from an aesthetic point of view, but the benefits of it in an appropriate application are undeniable.

I also had endless headaches setting eyelets and snaps by hand. A drill press makes for a fine solution. Chuck up the hand setter and simply press down instead of hammering. It takes a tiny amount of pressing to do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Im the rookie of the group posting on here but, if your guards are a hard metal or built into the blades profile it works easy and fast to make a sheath. Most of the knives I have made have a kydex insert for the leather sheath with a large drain hole at the point of the blade so in theory all the grit grime and crud can naturally fall out tho bottom. So far its worked quite well. Another thing with kydex is if its a etched,blued or parkerized blade the kydex can scratch the finish off over time in any spot that it touches. It only takes about an hr to make a kydex sheath depending on temp outside and if you hold tour tongue just right. Lol But for sure hand setting is going to take patience and practice. If you have the funds for a press or a drill press use it. Have had to redo 4 sheaths due to rookie thinking, "hulk smash" the rivets.

I must have went through about 5 bent snaps in a row before I stopped to look at them. A lot of the post tubes were flared inwardly. No wonder the post wanted to bend before it would flare outward!

With the hand setter in a drill press, I can gently push - ease up - push to get the flare going in the right direction. If they are flared inwardly a whole lot, a center punch works great to spread the metal and get it flared outwardly.

It's also easier to use a drill press / arbor press because the anvil can rest on a block of wood, or whatever you need to create clearance for the sheath. You don't need a third hand to steady everything while you hold the setter in one hand and a hammer in the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back