L@@K! Everybody check your chicken!

rhinoknives

There is a recall on Chicken that went to several states.

I have worked as a professional cook in my life and the rule I know to share with everyone is you want to keep all foods. Below 40 degrees or cooked to 140 degrees.
even with doing this I still got sick

Last Sat, I BBQ some chicken I purchased at the local market and still I got salmonella poisoning on monday. We also saw on local news that this chicken was sold in our area. Not fun my friends.

So if you or the wife have put a box or two of chicken in the freezer or fridge?
Check on google for the chicken brand and numbers and take it back or throw it out!

Its cost me about three days of work though i am finally feeling better and think I am well enough to grind today.

No fun my friend. One of those coming out of both ends illnesses.

Just wanted to try warn any one thats been in the shop all week! LOL

Wow Laurence, I thought that salmonella poisoning risks were eliminated through proper storage and cooking procedures. Now you're telling me you can contract it regardless..?
I guess if you have any doubt, throw it out. ...I'm making chicken tonight, nervously.

Wow Laurence, I thought that salmonella poisoning risks were eliminated through proper storage and cooking procedures. Now you're telling me you can contract it regardless..?
I guess if you have any doubt, throw it out. ...I'm making chicken tonight, nervously.

Eric,
That's what I thought too?
I am not a food safety biologist but have worked in kitchens and cooked for many years.
Remember you always want to keep foods. Below 40 degrees or cooked to above 140 degrees. I still got sick and so did enough other people that there is a nation wide recall on that chicken?

So check the codes on the package against the info on the net or maybe in your local paper?
And make sure you do get it to over 140 degrees in the marrow or that bird.

I am back at work, but still sweating an shivering a bit some 6 days later. I am doing "Less Dangerous work" If there is such a thing in our occupation because my mental focus is still off.

So,
Stay safe and eat safe my friends!

While some tout that 140° F temp the CDC and others note the internal temp must be 160° not the lower temp- thhe lower temps will work but must be kept at that temp for up to an hour -while this page is for eggs it notes the 160° temp
http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellaeggs/

and FWIW - all chickens are naturally prone to one of the salmonella bacteria since it is part of their digestive track. Unfortunately since the overusage of anti-biotics by the health care industry we now have drug resistant strains of the bacteria

Last edited:
While some tout that 140° F temp the CDC and others note the internal temp must be 160° not the lower temp- thhe lower temps will work but must be kept at that temp for up to an hour -while this page is for eggs it notes the 160° temp
http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellaeggs/

and FWIW - all chickens are naturally prone to one of the salmonella bacteria since it is part of their digestive track. Unfortunately since the overusage of anti-biotics by the health care industry we now have drug resistant strains of the bacteria

I have a method of BBQing chicken or turkey where I start with a hot coal fire to sear, then use a medium fire to to get it hot all the way through then use a lower charcoal flame to keep it hot and smoke the chicken for about 2 1/2 hours. This was the first time it didn't kill any hostiles that were in the Weber in about 30 years.

I do agree that we are constantly making stronger bacteria of all kinds around us with overuse of antibiotics in livestock and us. I will most likely be cooking my birds to that 160 mark for well over a hour now. Just in case?

Last edited:
Laurence , Man I hope you feel better soon . You know with all the food and meat especially, having all this Bacteria and such , It makes you want to stop eating meat ! Which is unfortunate because , I love to BBQ . I think the best thing to do is cook on fire for a while and put BBQ in the oven for an hr at 350 in sauce . It makes the meat much more tender and will kill all viruses and bacteria . What you have to look out for is contaminating the meat again . So keep them hands clean you can re contaminate it again . take care and I hope you feel better soon Bubba

Back