Large band saw blade

remist17

I was given a used band saw blade from a large woodmiser. Its is about 1 ¼ wide and I am not sure the thickness but ample for a blade. Has anyone used these for knives? I was thinking to cut it and shape it without putting much heat and not tempering etc.

Its mystery steel unless you know what the metal is.
It could be a win or a challenge. It depends on the steel. Try and see.

Sounds like a relatively new blade, and perhaps only the bandsaw teeth are hardened.
(on some new blades, only the teeth are induction hardened.)
Might even be a medium carbon steel.
Do some test hardening on samples and see how they come out.
Or a small knife with a tape handle and try it for a few days to find out if the steel will work.

Chances are good its a Bi-Metal blade. Generally until a blade is 6"+ wide, its Bi-metal......meaning that its likely not suitable for a knife. That being said, there's always the option of "testing" the metal as has been suggested, and see what happens.

DSCN1088.jpgDSCN1047.jpg000_0730.jpg000_0710.jpgIf you can get them a better option would be a large concrete cutting saw blade. I know that most info I have been able to glean in the forums is not very positive, but I've been using concrete cutting saw blades for about 10-12 years now, probably over 200 machetes, large and small knives. in my experience, properly heat treated, I prefer it to most of the knife steels I have used, both stainless and carbon. One additional benefit is that the steel provides the opportunity to differentially heat treat which creates a very pronounced hamon in the finished knives. Here are some photos of knives I have posted on the forum. Except for the blade they are representative of most of my knives. Sorry about the insert, still finding my way on the forum.

understood. I am not the best at doing the carbon test with a grinder, but I can try. Worse case is I got some scrap metal....

I know I have made some great knives from old wood saws and did not stop and think about the age part.

Thanks

Jesse, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, my computer died and I had to get another one.

I heat treat using a oxy actetylene torch and quench in tap water. I don't use a magnet anymore since I've used this particular steel for so long. I try to get the edge orange with a little red in it then quench straight down into the water, moving the blade back and forth along the edge and back to prevent warping of the blade. I do that step briskly to be sure that the blade cools quickly. I do not draw the steel since it doesn't seem to make any difference in the toughness or edge holding of the knives.

Back