Last Call for KITH participants

Chris Railey

Entry for KITH will close on September 1st. I will be drawing the names and posting the mailing list on September 2nd. Its not too late to enter, we have some really great knives being made already. This year, I would like to do the exchange a little different. Makers will exchange knives this year. In other words, if Gene Kimmi draws Opaul's name they will exchange knives. Opaul's to Kimmi and Kimmi's to Opaul. Any major objections to this method?

Sounds OK to me. However I do think it could put stress on some if they find out they are matched with a knife maker whose skill is superior to their own. Of course it could be a big motivator too.

But this is my first KITH so I don't know how it was done in the past. Presumably it was a random pick but I really don't know.

Sounds OK to me. However I do think it could put stress on some if they find out they are matched with a knife maker whose skill is superior to their own. Of course it could be a big motivator too.

But this is my first KITH so I don't know how it was done in the past. Presumably it was a random pick but I really don't know.
I did not consider that because everyone in the drawing has better skills than I. I still do not see it as a problem because the drawing is still random so it does not really change much. I thought it may be interesting to be able to compare and contrast with your paired maker. I like this about your knife compared to my knife. Look at the knife I sent you, see how the spine is rounded, I think your knife would be great with a rounded spine...Etc

I did not consider that because everyone in the drawing has better skills than I. I still do not see it as a problem because the drawing is still random so it does not really change much. I thought it may be interesting to be able to compare and contrast with your paired maker. I like this about your knife compared to my knife. Look at the knife I sent you, see how the spine is rounded, I think your knife would be great with a rounded spine...Etc
I see your point. Like I mentioned, I'm fine with the idea. And it would be interesting to compare.

Chris

I just do not have the time to finish a knife for the KITH. To be honest, I started a bowie. A really big bowie. It has been cut to shape. I wish I had the time to get it completed. I just have too much other stuff to finish before Christmas. Having a kid in college, high school and junior high is taking precious time away from the shop. Maybe next year.

I have been watching all the KITH WIPs. Keep up the great work. Some really nice Bowie knives are getting put together.

DeMo

I'm in a similar boat as Dennis. Really wish I could have participated for my first year this year, but am actually just hoping to have my new shop built by the end of the year. I'm close but won't have time to get it done and a knife made. There's some beautiful work being done here and it would be an honor to participate.

Hopefully next year will be that chance.

I agree with Chris that the comparative ideas and quality is a great motivator to improve one's craft.

Chris

I just do not have the time to finish a knife for the KITH. To be honest, I started a bowie. A really big bowie. It has been cut to shape. I wish I had the time to get it completed. I just have too much other stuff to finish before Christmas. Having a kid in college, high school and junior high is taking precious time away from the shop. Maybe next year.

I have been watching all the KITH WIPs. Keep up the great work. Some really nice Bowie knives are getting put together.

DeMo
I was really just picking on you De-Mo. I am sad that my chance to get a Moreland original just went to zero but maybe next year. Family first, always

Back