Latest Off the Bench

tkroenlein

This one is a bit more significant than just my most recent. It is *the* knife I set out to make when I started making.

Maybe 5-6 years ago I started out messing with putting some handles on blanks. I quickly realized the blanks I was getting were really no better than any off the shelf store bought knife, but was content with making them and knew nothing about making knives from stock or forging. I'd done enough that I was happy with and enjoyed spending my time on making them that I slowly kept putting a little more into the shop.

So 4 years ago, I learned my oldest nephew was going into forestry. He is a fine young man, loves the Lord, civic minded, kind and well-mannered, and is as much a natural outdoorsman as you'll find. I knew I wanted to make him a knife as a graduation present immediately. A knife that a man that spent his life walking the mountains of Appalachia would want to carry, and could depend on, every day.

Well last week, he graduated. It's been a long road to learning the craft sufficiently to hand over a knife that I have a reasonable level of confidence will not fail him should he need to depend on it. And I genuinely hope that that it conveys to him how much I'd like to walk each step of his life's journey with him.

B7556AD1-8D0A-49D7-A888-69B1D9DBE7BB.jpeg22EE7A0E-756E-4AE1-B6F0-78A5502128A4.jpegF526C423-D483-4418-A1A1-AE0C21357186.jpegF9E065E1-1260-42BC-AF4E-CE273D5A1B30.jpegD645EAD9-6C36-4B76-9627-10DD2E107D59.jpeg

What a gorgeous knife, and a beautiful sentiment in your post. That's what it's all about right there. This is a fine knife, indeed. He'll be just as proud to carry it as you are to have made it. Fantastic.

I keep coming back to this knife. Sometimes a knife just speaks to you, and this is one of those times. I just wanted to say that your blade shape is phenomenal. Really really great job on the handle contours as well.

Back