Leather starter set.

Gliden07

I have started concentrating on making Hunting Knives with nice wood scales. I have been making Kydex, sheeths for them and while ok for EDC/PP knives I really believe the hunters I've been making lately really deserve a resl leather sheath. I've never done any leather work and have no tools for this. Does anyone have a suggestion for a relatively complete kit for basic leather work. Some of the kits I've looked at seem to have lots of stuff I don't think I need or not the right stuff I should have. Any input would be GREAT!

You can do most of the simple leatherwork with a stanley knife, contact adhesive, stitching groove guage, (for marking the stitching lines) and edge beveler, spacing wheel and a pair of needles with the relevant thread. After that as you become more decided on the style and level of fancy for your sheaths you can upgrade to stamping sets etc but for the basics to make a sheath that is all you need to get started.

I will add if you plan on stamping get a piece of granite. Does not matter the size. Just needs to be flat. 12x12x1 would be about ideal. You will also need an appropriate hammer and selected stamps. If you look around you can find some fairly good used stuff at a decent price.

He’s the new guy that bought stuff 3 weeks ago perspective. I bought a kit from amazon, a granite block from grizzly, and a single vegetable tanned shoulder from eBay. I’ve been happy with what I got for all 3. I’ve made 2 sheaths so far and am pleased with both. The amazon tools are functional and will likely last a couple of years. They are not high quality tools but they will do until I can pick and choose what I want to make or buy. The granite seems to be great for checking flatness and getting parts flat. The 9-10 oz by tanned shoulder shipped was only $50 shipped and had no flaws my new guy eyes could see.

Go by your local granite counter place and get a sink cutout. Most places they are free to get rid of them. It works great. If you want stamps , if possible stamp with them because most are molded and do not give the best impressions. When you go maniac on them then there are custom stamp makers that are the best. Check Barry King stamps on ebay for info on prices.
Basket weave stamps are not all the same. I have an elongated basket stamp that I love. I could almost get by with the border marker ,the basket weave, and one border stamp.
When you have time practice with stamps. Not all stamps have to be used the way they look , get creative to give a different look.

Back