Legal Handle Materials

magicman

I am looking for a reliable source of information concerning any legal issues surrounding knife handle materials specifically what bone, horn or antler materials can not be used. I do know that obviously any protected species are out but beyond that. My question is for U.S. law and also anything specific to the state of Alabama. If anyone has a reliable source for such information I would be very grateful if you could pass along a link. Thanks for your time.

magicman

The following seems to say it's not legal to sell whitetail deer antlers in Alabama.

"Any person, firm, or corporation who sells, offers, or exposes for sale, buys, purchases, barters, or exchanges anything of value for any game bird or game animal or any part thereof at any time shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $250.00 nor more than $500.00 for each offense."

It does go on to say:
"(1) Lawfully taken “green” or raw untanned deer hides and their hooves, squirrels' skins, hides, and tails;  (2) Finished product items such as gloves, shoes, clothing, jewelry, tanned deer hides, and similar products;  and (3) Labeled, pre-packaged venison, other than white-tailed deer,"

BUT - I don't see antlers listed. Seems like I've read before that Alabama does not allow selling knives with whitetail antler for handles.

From here: http://codes.findlaw.com/al/title-9-conservation-and-natural-resources/al-code-sect-9-11-237.html

My question for this dillema is deer shed their antlers so how is it wrong to use sheds as handles?

As many deer as Alabama has, they're almost to the pest classification in some areas! I can't imagine enough folks going out to shoot a deer just for the antler for a knife handle for it to be a real problem anyway. As you said, Stupid law!

To be honest I can see it becoming an issue, try pricing good clean antler material that has not been weathered. It's quite pricy and I can see people harvesting it for resale and really doing damage to the population in some areas. This is an issue in places that have moose, elk and caribou. That said it is a stupid law as written and needs reform to allow the use or sale of properly harvested antlers and other useful parts. Probably would come down to tagging and recording every kill and keeping that tag number with anything sold as well as a good paperwork trail to send in to the state. Sounds like a hassle I know but it would beat the current system.

How could it not be a shed? It is a two sided issue that comes down to the basics of guilty till proven innocent or innocent till proven guilty
Some time back some one really screwed it all up for the present situation with the white tail antlers down there.

I had the same question for using some antler I had. I read the currentstate game reg book and even called the state office to clarify. If I wanted more info for other places I'd start online for the applicable state (and federal) game reg books and look for a section called "lawful/unlawful use of game." Hope this helps out.

Especially when you can just go the local pet store and buy pieces of antler labeled "chew toys".

As many deer as Alabama has, they're almost to the pest classification in some areas! I can't imagine enough folks going out to shoot a deer just for the antler for a knife handle for it to be a real problem anyway. As you said, Stupid law!

Back