Light at the end of the tunnel....I think.

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
So, it has been over a year since I shared my desire to make production knives. I love doing the one off hand made stuff but have to utilize the space and equipment I have in the best manner I can.

Slowly I realized that "limited production" is likely the best I'll achieve. I have followed many rabbit trails in testing(Testing EVERYTHING). My goal is always custom quality-or-don't bother. Sometimes I try things that take me a few days to even test. I think I thought about calling it quits about 10 times in the last year.

The discipline of making knives that are the same is tougher for me than the freedom of making a custom and "adjusting" as I go. So the things I invent to help make things consistent don't always work as I intend but slowly I am seeing consistency.

leatherwork and grinding are two areas that I am constantly trying new things and usually disappointing myself. I have finally come up with a handle for my small "cowboy" knife that feels good and can withstand my "Whack it on the corner of a piece of steel" test. But the sheath is still in the hazy zone....The grind comes out good on this little knife because it is small and simple.(well...simple in the morning but I can scrap easier in the PM...go figure) I set all the semi-finished handles on my desk to keep from getting discouraged. They represent a lot of time on design/redesign. It's crazy how much a subtle change of a radius or thickness changes the entire knife. These will be the best knives I have made to date...if I get my makers mark dialed in...lol!

I know this all is a different path than most of you. I just thought that I'd share my journey a bit.

These handles are a mile stone in that they work well, epoxy well, buff well. I can now go back to the "gang Heat treating" and "blade Marking" in batches challenge.

I was supposed to have these 20-50 done by Christmas. But forward progress is still something to be thankful even if unable to hit a self imposed deadline.

I have a lot of you to thank for not giving up. Still hoping to "get there..."DSC01364.JPG

Looking good Ted!! When do you think you will go to market?? This thread is very interesting to me. As I started making knives for myself, now I have people asking me to make knives for them.

Looking good Ted!! When do you think you will go to market?? This thread is very interesting to me. As I started making knives for myself, now I have people asking me to make knives for them.
I don't know when...early 2018. Maybe even sooner. I have some in use as "testers"...one of my best friends is savage on knives...he's getting one for Christmas.Lol. I'm also donating two for a raffle at a "men's night out" at one of the churches up here...60 guys looking at your work! Folks are already tryin' to buy them...just not quite ready.

Good luck Ted - sounds like you're going at the project seriously and well planned. From what I can see, those do look good. Are you ready to tell us more about what steel for knife? Handle material?

Yes...these first 70 knives are A2...I want to transition to AEB-L by the time they are sold.

The handles are Corian countertop material. It's very hard tending towards brittle. Sands and buffs amazing. Does not melt easy..as in when your sanding a mosaic pin with some of the polyurethane scale materials and your pin goes loose cause you sanded too long without dipping...lol. It does not like too sharp a corner which is why I have pretty generous radius' on the handles.

I hear you on the testing thing Ted. I made quite a few subtle changes to my basic paterns and gave the test pieces to various people to try before I nailed my paterns down to what I have now. That is the most important part of the puzzzle I think as that is the main aspect that draws clients to your knives. They come for design and come back for the usability. I dont get into the large number you are talking about but generally will make 1/2 doz of a new pattern to have them ready for any orders that come in. I have got most of my orders from the guns n hunting forums I am on and the feedback has driven a lot of new orders with a number of repeat customers who have got 2, 3 or 4 knives each. Just today this was posted on my thread.
Garry, I took the knife you made for me on my recent elk/deer hunt in Montana. It got bloodied on a bull elk and my guide said it was the sharpest knife he had ever used, including a Havalon and was still sharp after field dressing and quartering the elk. The guide also raved about the handle and the really good feel and grip. I ended up giving the knife to the guide, so I will be ordering another one from you soon. Will wait to see your piggyback design.

I hear you on the testing thing Ted. I made quite a few subtle changes to my basic paterns and gave the test pieces to various people to try before I nailed my paterns down to what I have now. That is the most important part of the puzzzle I think as that is the main aspect that draws clients to your knives. They come for design and come back for the usability. I dont get into the large number you are talking about but generally will make 1/2 doz of a new pattern to have them ready for any orders that come in. I have got most of my orders from the guns n hunting forums I am on and the feedback has driven a lot of new orders with a number of repeat customers who have got 2, 3 or 4 knives each. Just today this was posted on my thread.
Garry, I took the knife you made for me on my recent elk/deer hunt in Montana. It got bloodied on a bull elk and my guide said it was the sharpest knife he had ever used, including a Havalon and was still sharp after field dressing and quartering the elk. The guide also raved about the handle and the really good feel and grip. I ended up giving the knife to the guide, so I will be ordering another one from you soon. Will wait to see your piggyback design.
That kind of feed-back is what any of us would love to hear! the cowboy helping me with the small knife design held one of my recent prototypes and started making motions then looked up and said, "I can easily skin a deer with this..." That's the thinking I want with a small knife. Great for edc but capable of skinning without sliding your finger down the blade.

I think your knives are practical and beautiful in a non-collector fashion. An owner of your knives would not lock it away in a cabinet but would be on pins and needles waiting for the next hunt to try it out...probably why you are one of the most prolific makers here on the forum. Seems every other week you're sending out 20....lol!

Back