Little Damascus and koa hunter

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This is one of my little hunter/ utility "Patch" knives. It's a really handy and popular knife and thus is the first I've made in Damascus.

7 3/4" overall, 3" blade. 1084 & 15n20 steel, fileworked rounded thumb grip, removable stabilized koa scales with 24k gold plated screws, fileworked handle end.

That is a beautiful blade John. Just beautiful all the way around. I'm tellin ya, one of these days I'm gonna make one that looks that good. Probably NOT today , though.
Thank you Bruce. You can do it. If I can do it....anyone can do it. You're biggest limiting factor is lack of a grinder. That should be next on your priority list. It's a real time saver.

That is what a well executed three piece knife looks like. Been chasing John for a couple of years now, nothing like knowing you are no closer...

Bruce, my mark is stamped, prior to heat treating. After heat treating, I do nothing to it. Its black from the heat treat, scale, tempering (probably baked on oil), etching etc. After stamping, I literally do nothing go it. Always turns out nice and black.

You guys are too kind. But thank you for the comments.

My biggest tip (besides practice), I've said it numerous times, be deliberate. Have a plan. Try to think out every single step and detail. No accidents (if possible).

Thanks. That makes alot of sense. The stamping part is what I was (am) missing. I now remember you posting about that in the past. Age is a terrible thing , making me even more feeble minded. I don't have too far to go !

Last edited:
Back