Looking for a pattern for a Sgian-Dubh

dmackey

Has anyone seen a pattern for a Sgian-Dubh (scottish boot knife).
If you have can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks David

Thank you George
I tried the image search but got nothing other than photos of finished knives.
My goal is mainly hunting and camp knives but I would like to make the Sgian_Dubh due to the fact my ancestry if from Scotland.
Thanks again
David

grandma's Sgian-Dubh

looks good, that was the first knife i ever made. i bought a blade from indian ridge traders in 1970 some thing. my grandmother was first generation from scotland. i worked and worked on that knife i used a antler butt for the handle and a couple layers of leather and a flattened out nickle at the guard and she told me to notch the tang so i could put a pin in the handle to make it hold stronger. so i did and epoxed it together. sanded the blade to a dull luster, like she told me, then we made the sheath again not like the plans showed it was only about a half inch of the handle stuck out and it had tubes at the point and corners of the sheath. this was way before anyone was putting thong tubes on knife sheaths. it was finished. then like magic there were 2 knives an old one with a blackwood handle and mine. she looked at mine and said "very good" handed me my knife and walked off." very good" is very high praise from a highland scot. i asked my grand pa where the black knife had came from. and he told me that she carried it all the time i ask him where all he said was "all over" and if some one wasn't careful it would be the last thing you ever saw. my grand ma was a sweet loving woman but you never know when you night need a knife. sorry to have written a novel. but this is the thing. we buried her wearing the knife. thanks for listening.

Last edited:
looks good, that was the first knife i ever made. i bought a blade from indian ridge traders in 1970 some thing. my grandmother was first generation from scotland. i worked and worked on that knife i used a antler butt for the handle and a couple layers of leather and a flattened out nickle at the guard and she told me to notch the tang so i could put a pin in the handle to make it hold stronger. so i did and epoxed it together. sanded the blade to a dull luster, like she told me, then we made the sheath again not like the plans showed it was only about a half inch of the handle stuck out and it had tubs at the point and corners of the sheath. this was way be fore ant one was putting thong tubs on knife sheaths. it was finished. then like magic there were 2 knives an old one with a blackwood handle and mine. she looked at mine and said "very good" handed me my knife and walked off. very good is very high praise from a highland scot. i asked my grand pa where the black knife had came from. and he told me that she carried it all the time i ask him where all he said was "all over" and if some one wasn't careful it would be the last thing you ever saw. my grand ma was a sweet loving woman but you never know when you night need a knife. sorry to have written a novel. but this is the thing. we buried her wearing the knife. thanks for listening

grandma's Sgian-Dubh

looks good, that was the first knife i ever made. i bought a blade from indian ridge traders in 1970 some thing. my grandmother was first generation from scotland. i worked and worked on that knife i used a antler butt for the handle and a couple layers of leather and a flattened out nickle at the guard and she told me to notch the tang so i could put a pin in the handle to make it hold stronger. so i did and epoxed it together. sanded the blade to a dull luster, like she told me, then we made the sheath again not like the plans showed it was only about a half inch of the handle stuck out and it had tubs at the point and corners of the sheath. this was way be fore ant one was putting thong tubs on knife sheaths. it was finished. then like magic there were 2 knives an old one with a blackwood handle and mine. she looked at mine and said "very good" handed me my knife and walked off. very good is very high praise from a highland scot. i asked my grand pa where the black knife had came from. and he told me that she carried it all the time i ask him where all he said was "all over" and if some one wasn't careful it would be the last thing you ever saw. my grand ma was a sweet loving woman but you never know when you night need a knife. sorry to have written a novel. but this is the thing. we buried her wearing the knife. thanks for listening

Last edited:
Any item, what ever it is, is much more valuable both monetarily and sentimentally. Loved the story.

Back