Looking for advice...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
I'm headed to NC next month to take a class on Frame Handles with Master Smith Steve Dunn. I could use some advice on what tools, materials (other than brass) to take with me, and what would be some things to ask about. I will report back on what it get from the class with a few photos.

Thank you,

George

Not to be a smart ass, but I think I would ask Mr. Dunn. I assume you are paying for this, but even if not, I'd still ask him. After all, it's his class and only someone who has taken it before could tell you anything, and he may have changed something since then.

Mr. Dunn's class requires nothing as all is provided tools, and basic materials. My request is in an effort to get as much as I can for the time & money spent. There are folks on here that have made this type of handle or have taken a class on it. Whether formal or not. Since I have not ever tried this I am looking for input as to what materials other than brass (which is provided) to take. As different materials may need to be worked differently and may give a better looking finish product or have a reason to use. There may be a step in the process that is more involved and could ask how to avoid something that a more experienced maker takes for granted.

Mark, thank you I will ad a recorder to my list. I always carry a camera.

George

I'll call Bruce later today and get some answers.

My Thanks go to Laurence and Bruce Bump. As always Master Smith Bump is full of good advice and willing to share his knowledge.

Back