Looking for Flame Retardant Hunter Green Material

rhinoknives

Hello fello Dogssters!

I am now doing sharpening at the Malibu Farmers market on Sundays and the folks there being true fashionestas want me to have Hunter Green table cloths on both of my tables to look POSH which is OK by me except that I don't want to start a fire on my table with grinding sparks!

Having had two small fires start in my shop once from sparks landing on Ironwood dust and once inside a vacuum cleaner I can do without the intense moments running for the fire extinguisher! LOL

I have explain this to them and they are insistent that I do something?
I can't find any "flame retardant" Hunter Green table skirts and was really looking for some other material in this color that would really put my mind at ease while sharpening on my 2 x 72" that sits on top of a table.

Any ideas for some Hunter green material that won't catch on fire??

Thanks for any ideas and Mr. Moderator if I put this in the wrong area? You know what to do!

Last edited:
Alluminum sheet & a can of spray paint. (over the table cloth)
Aluminum would draw heat quickly if you do start a weeny roast.

Rudy

Laurence, you are using 100% cotton? Back when I was welding we were required to wear 100% cotton shirts because cotton wouldn't catch fire from dingle balls as would polyester for instance. 100% cotton with the fire retardant spray might be what you're looking for. From the reviews it sure sounds like the spray will work good.

Of course, the aluminum sheet on top of any table cover would work good.

Ken H>

hi laurence, here is a start
http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-WIDE-PRE...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3cd80f3725 hunter green material 64" wide
2 yards of this should be plenty
maybe put this underneath the table or under the other material
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-X-3-FEET-...289?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fc36a181

KenH,
I also had what I think was a cotton jacket catch fire from sparks. This happen when the Iron wood sandings went up as well so I have been leary of cotton? LOL I wish I had a video of that day! Its funny now.

Scott,
Thank you.
That may just do the trick! I will get a couple of yards and run is skirt like around the edge of the table. These are mostly stainless steel knives I will be sharpening so I won't have the shower of sparks like I did grinding the carbon Damascus that set the ironwood and my jacket on fire!

If its California Approved Flame retardant it should work out fine.

I will keep the fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

Last edited:
here is some lines from the material is listed from ebay
"About The Fabric:
Premium fabric is a heavier weight compared to our Economy fabric, and has a look and feel of a linen napkin or tablecloth at a fine dining restaurant.
Premium fabric blocks approximately 70-80% of light**.
It is regarded as a step up from our Economy fabric in both weight and style/appearance (the finish is matte and it does not have the open weave pattern that the Economy drapes have).

This Inherently Flame Retardant (IFR) fabric is designed to pass:
• NFPA 701, 2010 Edition (Test 1, Small Scale)
• California Section 13115"

should work.

Back