Looking to buy a sander

backtines

Hey guys , can someone tell me the actual name of the disk sander that sits upright ??

Eletric motor sits upright , shaft verticle , and turntable sits horizontal . Im understanding that using this tool is best for making things good and flat ? For sure , I always chase my work with sand paper on my flat piece of marble . Im always looking for an easier way. DO you guys think buying one of these sanders is the way to go ?

Hit me back , your thoughts and which one should I buy .

Thanks..

Mikey,

I don't use a disc in this position mine is mounted regular style :D

Beaumont Metal Works (KMG mfg.) does have a turn-key option or you can pick up a mounting plate and disc and add your own motor.

Check out the entire disk grinder page here-

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/

Variable speed is ALWAYS a huge benefit IMHO !

-Josh

Mikey,

Vertical or horazonal 9" disc grinder is the common name you are after.
If you just want to true up your blocks. I use a 6 x 48" Belt sander with a 180 grit belt and run the flat both ways to true up your scales and it works great for heavier stuff with a heavier grit belts.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I get my stuff pretty flat with the way Im working now, using my 4x36 belts and somestuff with my 2 X 72's.. I was watching a viedo from Anderson Forge ( I think thats who he was ) and he was really into using his Vertical disk grinder in faceing his tang flat .. He really liked using that machine for that purpose. He was into it.. Besides I see that grinder in the back grounds of pics in shops from a bunch of makers here on KD.. I just thought it would be a good tool for my little garage shop .. Dont know where Im gonna put it but thats besides the point . I want one .. I also have a Boyar Shultz 612 in the garage .. Ive been wanting to convert that into a 2X72 belt , but thats still waiting .. I guess one of these days ill get to it ..

Josh and Laurence , thanks for the tips !

The 9" disc with or without a mitering work rest is really a boon. I get my surfaces very flat with a good platen behind my 2x72 belt but then have to tune them up on my improvised surface plate. A flat 9" disc with a 60 grit Blaze disk from trugrit would save me an hour per knife more than likely. Beaumont is where I'm going to go when I get ahead enough to purchase one.

While we're on the topic, for you that own them, the 1 degree bevel 9" disc works as advertised and lets you work tangs longer than 4.5" or so?

The 9" disc with or without a mitering work rest is really a boon. I get my surfaces very flat with a good platen behind my 2x72 belt but then have to tune them up on my improvised surface plate. A flat 9" disc with a 60 grit Blaze disk from trugrit would save me an hour per knife more than likely. Beaumont is where I'm going to go when I get ahead enough to purchase one.

While we're on the topic, for you that own them, the 1 degree bevel 9" disc works as advertised and lets you work tangs longer than 4.5" or so?

See that Frank , Im lovin what Im hearing .. Thats another reason why I gotta get me one. I also gotta tell ya , I have a TW90 made by Travis Weurtz.. That machine is really awesome , but no matter what I do , (slow speed or fast and with all different grit belts ) when that belt comes around and hits my work ( and its usually on the faces of my bolsters ) I get a slight rounded edge on top . I guess its just the slight bit of slack on the belt ? or its when im pulling the piece away from the platten? or maybe when Im diving into the work.. I get that pain in the a** rounded edge.. It really isnt that big a deal sometimes because I always go back to flat sanding on my marble block to true everything up . I mean I make it flat one way or the other .. Im just thinking a little ahead here and mount a few magnets in a block to hold my tangs, with the right grit paper , I think it will work out to be an asset.

Back