Loosing the drive ????

backtines

Guys , I don't know what's happened to me but I feel like I lost the drive to make knives.. I mean it's hunting season over here and I'm finding myself taking my son out every minute I can , not giving any time to even think about knives. I hope that's what it is..

Does anyone one ever feel like this ??

Don't fight it Mike.
I have a slump every year myself, some long and some shorter. Life gets in the way. But making seems to come back with a vengeance once it's over. I know two makers right now who are doing the same thing and one of them is full time. It's easier if it isn't your livelyhood and besides, you're doing something else you enjoy with your kid. Try and get a knife to thank you for the quality time you spent together when you're old and feeble.

Rudy

Mikey,
Dont worry about it. Go hunting. You can hunt only during the season and your son will only be young once. You can make knives when your an old man,like me:biggrin:

I know the feeling. I haven't had a strong urge to make knives for a few years now. I've taught people, and sent out a lot of grinders, but haven't finished a knife for quite some time.

My philosophy is that it will either continue or it won't. I have decided not to mourn it, but enjoy the other activities I'm doing instead(working on the property for me or hunting with your son in your case).

Jamie

Mikey my Brother!
Fret not! Its a hobby for you and that's fine. The one thing I've found out is trying to force yourself to make knives will only make the whole experience bitter! I know you don't want that!

Just chill for a bit and like Calvin said. Mikey Jr will only be Jr. for so long and that is far more important than making knives, RIGHT?

My experience I have to share with you concerning flat spots is the less I pay attention to it the sooner the drive to breath grinding dust comes back stronger than ever.:biggrin:

Family always comes first. The knifes arn't going anywhere but in time he will so make the most of it while you can.. KT

Mikey
I feel that way. Right now. I have not done a great deal with knife making for the last couple of weeks. I do not see myself doing anything substantial until after Christmas. Hopefully, a new year will bring some new inspiration.
DeMo

Guys I gotta tell ya , I feel a little better now hearing from you all.. In all fairness I have been very busy and hunting is a big part of our family. My dad had me out in the woods when I just started walking.. My kids and wife all shoot and love the outdoors .. So all in all I see where your going with this.. I'll let it ride until I get the itch again I guess ..

thanks guys.

You're doing right brother just as everyone has said.

Your drive hasn't gone away it's just being replaced by what's more important at this moment. It happens to us all. ALL the time !

Once you guys are tagged out for the year and you kick back to reflect on the season inspiration will hit.

Carry on bro !

-Josh

I get like that every hunting season. between hunting season, my full time job and the holidays, this time of year gets hectic, especially if you have Christmas orders or building stock for shows. I always make time for hunting season though, no matter what.
I think everyone gets a taste of burn out once in a while, no reason to feel bad about though, you'll come around. my fix is getting out of the city and into the woods for awhile.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of heart problems and haven't been in my shop in about four months, but I'm getting the urge to hit the shop.

It's happen to me also, When my son got into golf in high school, it seems like I took a 4 year lay off. Now he's in College. Enjoy your time with your son, because they grow up quick.

You have gotten some very sound advice from your peers. Spend time with your family. You'll be glad you did.

Back