Loveless drop hunter finished

Cojab

Well I finally had time to finish this knife up. I haven't kept track but I have probably made somewhere around 20 knifes at this point. Until I really clean up the mistakes I still consider myself a rookie though.
First off I have to give credit to Mr. Loveless for the incredible design of this knife. It is an obvious very close copy and he deserves the credit. After holding this knife it is clear to me that he designed an incredible tool. The handle fits perfect for me and the tapered tang balances this knife beautifully.

The build is 1084, hollow grind on an 8" wheel, tapered tang, green micarta scales with red liner, Loveless bolts, and a stainless guard.

With this being my first tapered tang and slotted guard, I learned a bunch on this knife. I also have a couple mistakes that have to get cleared up. First, I have a slight halo around maybe 1/4 of one of the pins. Second I really messed up and went through one of the Loveless bolts. I have done this one other time and I thought for sure I had those countersunk enough. I guess not. This is a personal knife so for right now it will stay but I will have to fix that at some point.

Thanks for looking, all comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• loveless drop hunter.jpg
    loveless drop hunter.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 54
  • taper.jpg
    taper.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 62
  • bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 62
I read some where that the Loveless drop point hunter is the most copied knife. Yours looks good. Don't know if it is true or not. You see a lot of them. Keep grinding.

Thanks for the comments. Dennis, I think your right or at least close to it. I was watching a video about Loveless knifes and Jim Merrick was building a drop hunter and said that was the most copied Loveless knife ever. Merrick worked with Loveless for many years and took over the shop when Loveless passed.
I finished the sister to the other knife today. Let me tell you about the handle. This is some of Gene's black walnut. Not the stuff he sells but his left overs. I am very thankful for the box he sent me. There was at least two very nice pieces in there. This was the second one. The first I misaligned the holes and had to start over. Thank you very much Gene. When I get the shop rolling I will definitely be in the market for some of that wood. BTW, the finish is just sanded down to X5 and buffed on a loose wheel with white compound.

Attachments

• sister knife.jpg
    sister knife.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 17
Back