Maker’s Mark Question

If you were a Dr., would you put it in your maker’s mark? Hypothetical question

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So I changed my company name to "Hauser Knife"...after checking if I had legal issues with a custom maker who uses "Hauser custom knives". I don't as mine are limited production knives not custom...etc,etc.

How did you check that? Google or did you check something like the patent office.

Kevin if you are looking to create a way to mark your knives then just keep it simple. Ed is dead on with his advice. You have a name unlike Smith, Miller, White, Black. The name Zito will stand out and only has 4 letters. It is made for simple.

You need to decide if you are going to stamp or are you going to etch. Positives and negatives for each. I prefer stamping. Others prefer to etch. You need to make that choice.

Getting a stamp to look good requires a little practice. An arbor press helped me a lot to get a good even stamping on my blades.. I got started right here for the stamp and the press. https://www.steelstampsinc.com/custom-knife-blacksmith-stamps

You will need to pick a font for the stamp. Think easy when it comes to this. As in easy to stamp into metal. Your stamp moves the metal to make the imprint into the steel. A simple stamp will make that an easier task. I like the looks of Verdana (Zito) Times New Roman (Zito). You will have hundreds of fonts to choose from. I also like the name to be in all cap letters. Like this: ZITO

With an etching - you can get a little bit more elaborate, but, again with Zito you do not have to do so. I cannot really help you with this area as I have never done it. Others will be able to get you on the right path.
This is awesome thank you!

Back