Maker’s Mark (Steel Stamp)

Randy Lucius

Getting ready to order a steel stamp for my Maker’s mark but I’m not sure of the size to order. 5/8 or 3/4?
Mark will be just my first initial and last name. Most of my knives are about 1 and 1/4 inches at the recasso so
I’m thinking the 3/4 inch stamp would be the way to go. Any thoughts? What size are some of you guys using? Thanks!

Either of those will be WAY TO BIG. The size, in terms of a stamp, refers to the height of the letters. Way back when I ordered my first stamp, I went with 3/32"..... it was only usable for big blades. At the the time it would not fit on most blades I made. Ever since, my stamps have been/are 1/16" block letters.

My J. Doyle stamp is 5/8" long and 1/16" tall.

You really want to go with a high quality stamp. Its not the place to try going cheap. If I was in the market for a new stamp, there are only two places I'd consider:

Everstamp

Buckeye engraving

In that order.

Steel Stamp INC quoted a stamp that .54 in width on a 5/8 x 3/8 tool. Yep. I know 3/4 vertical would be ridiculous. How wide are your stamps Ed?

My J. Doyle stamp is 5/8" long and 1/16" tall.

You really want to go with a high quality stamp. Its not the place to try going cheap. If I was in the market for a new stamp, there are only two places I'd consider:

Everstamp

Buckeye engraving

In that order.

Thanks Mr. Doyle. I replied to Ed before I saw your post. That’s the info I needed.

My main stamp (I have two) was made by everstamp and has cold stamped a couple hundred marks with ZERO signs of wear.

They took care to grind the parent tool stock down as far as they possibly could to the actual edges of the letters. This is absolutely crucial to getting a good clean un-distorted mark. Other companies may not pay attention to such important details.

Last edited:
Back