Making a leather cutting knife.

Sherman Clinton

Name is Sundown, joined Knife Dogs in 2015. Haven't been active but have read the forums. Making knives now going on15 yrs. Still learning. making leather cutting knives and want to use a metal that holds an edge very well and doesn't need to be easy to sharpen. D2,15n20 or 80crv2 are my choices. Never used any of these but would like some input to help me decide. would appreciate any input or other choices. Thanks.

When you mention "Leather cutting knife", are you referring to a rounding knife - something like this?
Round-Knife.jpg

On the type of metal, I tend to use AEB-L, but most any will work. I've not worked with D2, but I understand it's good stuff. 15N20 would work good. Be sure to use a thin blade, I like around .040" thick, but certainly not more than .060" range. 80CRV2 will also make a nice rounding knife.

When you mention "Leather cutting knife", are you referring to a rounding knife - something like this?
Round-Knife.jpg

On the type of metal, I tend to use AEB-L, but most any will work. I've not worked with D2, but I understand it's good stuff. 15N20 would work good. Be sure to use a thin blade, I like around .040" thick, but certainly not more than .060" range. 80CRV2 will also make a nice rounding knife.
This is what i want. I use AEB-L more than anything but think i will try the 15n20 or the 80CRV2. Hope mine turns out looking that good. Thanks for the help.

Back