Manual Machinist Course- is this the right direction ?

Sean Jones

I'm looking to improve my knife-making skills and our local community college has a complete Manual Machinist Course. It includes the following courses. I don't believe I have to take them in order though it would probably be beneficial to do so.

KMAT 0010 Machine Shop Intro.
KMAT 0050 Blueprint Reading
KMAT 0105 Basic Mill
KMAT 0155 Advanced Mill
KMAT 0205 Basic Lathe
KMAT 0250 Advanced Lathe
KMAT 0305 Basic Grinding
KMAT 0355 Advanced Grinding
KWRK 0515 Job-Seeking Skills
Total Program Hours 450

I'm currently building a KMG grinder and have a 4 x 36 grinder and a few other power tools but I don't have the money for a mill that's for sure. At least not now.

How much help would such a course be to me as a knife-maker? Particularly after I finish and no longer have access to their knee mill or other equipment? I'm thinking I might find myself frustrated with the limited tools I have.

I haven't found anything else locally that I think would help improve my skills other than to keep at it.

Also though I would like to do knives when I retire I really have no plans to become a full time machinist

Any alternative ideas?

Thanks,

None of it would hurt!
I am looking at doing some classes here in my community.

You can gain alot of practical knowledge and then have a better understanding of the different ways to work metal. Go see if you can talk to the instructor and ask him which would benefit you?
Grinding & Mill is where I would start.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Without a doubt, grinding and mill. Have you tried to find any custom makers in your area? If you can find some, see if you can come and spend a day in their shop observing and picking their brains. It's been my experience that other custom makers are quite free with their knowlege and will do their best to help a new guy out.

thanks phatjohn. There's a few knife-makers in the salt lake area. I must admit I've been reluctant to approach any of them because their skills are at the professional level.

DropPoint,
That is the kind of program that I took.
My instructor would not let us in the shop area until we had completed the intro and blue print reading. If you have previous mechanical experience, you should be able to finish those quickly.
Then maybe you can get him to let you get the basic mill, lathe and grinder back to back.
We use to have one day a week we could work on personal projects. If he is ok with that, build your KMG clone using school equipment.
Good luck on the course.
Fred

I am taking a machinist course at Angelina College in Lufkin Tx now, or will start back in the fall. I have taken two semesters and love it. After I did the class projects the instructor allows us to work on anything we want to as long as we are running machines. I use the automatic surface grinder in almost every class and take 6 hours two night a week. He has helped me build things for my shop also.
I had an anvil that needed work and took it to the schools weling shop and they redid the top of it and then we took it to the machine shop and milled the top perfect. Next semester my project is to build a machinist vice so that will be good. He told me as long as I take one class every semester I can come and use the machines anytime the class is open. That is a great deal. I have taken Autocad and CNC and this next semester I will be making a lot of knife parts in the shop. Great deal for sure. Everyone with a college close that has a machinist class needs to check it out.
Good luck with yours
Percy

Thanks for the replies. I do work full time so I hope that there are evening classes. I think so. Salt Lake Community College is on a semester system I believe so next classes won't start until the Fall. No summer schedule that I can see. I think it will be fun

It will definitely not hurt. I graduated with a machining degree about 10 years ago. I program CNC and all that jazz for a living though. The basic courses will give you a good idea about how the machines work and running them. The big thing many people don;t think about is safety, especially with lathes. I see too many people running lathes that don't really have any idea how to. You wll definitely gain a better understanding of how to move metal, and how different metals react to being moved. :)

My college machine shop classes were at night. there were only about 6 of us students so it was easy to get the instructors attention. The first thing we were taught was how to make and sharpen tools for the lathe. Also drill bit sharpening. Both come in handy in everyday work. Next was the lathe and finially the mill. We had to complete a project and be graded although we didnt get a certificate it was the best formal training and I use that everyday. The sad part is its a dying art now. The good part is there are manual machines available at good prices.

Thanks guys. These were the only classes I saw for manual machines...at least within driving distance. I'm planning on signing up this fall.

Back