Marble or granite

Lagrange

I have been looking for a source locally to buy a large marble or granite block. I know some of you use them so I was wondering if anyone could help me find a supplier. I am thinking about going to the headstone guys...but I dont think they cut their stones to size - could be wrong.

Help...?

Do you have any counter top people in your area? I got a sink cut out that is 16by 30 inches with a 1 1/4 inch thickness. Best of all it was free!

Mike's right Eric.
I went to a local counter top place, they had a dumpster full of just stone up to about 1 foot square and piles of different size pieces on pallets. I settled on a piece of granite 26 x roughly 36 and trimmed it my self to 26x26, nice fit on my bench. Green's not my favorite but it was free.

Enco has inspection plates pretty cheap too.

Rudy

I am next door to the headstone people at work. I simply asked for a broken piece. They gave me a 12x18x4 inch piece. For stamping leather and flat sanding - it works great. Only problem is it weighs quite a bit. I need to keep up the exercises just so I can lift and carry the thing.

DeMo

This gives me a great idea, I should buy a nice big new granite plate and use it for knife making until I die and they can use it for a tombstone afterward.

This gives me a great idea, I should buy a nice big new granite plate and use it for knife making until I die and they can use it for a tombstone afterward.

I'm sorry but you will not need a headstone. Knifedogs is going to have you stuffed and put you in the museum. :biggrin:

We can have Bruce stabilized and keep him at the door of the Knifemakers Hall of Fame.
The stabilizing process shouldn't be hard on the carcass but I can't vouch for where they put the fill tube in.
With stabilization you can be buffed out every couple of years to give you the high Sheen look.

Just a thought.
Steve

Good idea steve.
Stabilization works great on the leather for my knives, no reason it wouldn't work on Bruces' hyde. Who knows....he could wind up on one of my knives someday. Stacked leather Bruce handle.

Rudy

Good idea steve.
Stabilization works great on the leather for my knives, no reason it wouldn't work on Bruces' hyde. Who knows....he could wind up on one of my knives someday. Stacked leather Bruce handle.

Rudy

When I first posted the idea of stuffing poor old Bruce - I thought perhaps some may find that idea a little bit morbid. Little did I know that it would spawn the idea of just stabilize him and then turn him into knife handles.

My question to you . . . what type of sheath are you thinking about?

DeMo

I think my hide would make good sheaths, I,m always looking for a way to make a living, how much would a square foot go for?

I think my hide would make good sheaths, I,m always looking for a way to make a living, how much would a square foot go for?

Honestly Bruce, I think it would be priceless. That would be something I'd probably never sell.....if we could get all the wrinkles out.

Rudy

Last edited:
Me too Eric. I got a huge free one too. Granite is what you want. Marble is really quite soft. Frank
If we're talking for leather work then I reckon I've been doing it wrong for the last 45+ years along with a whole slew of pros. While marble is softer IMO that can be an advantage since it can be resurfaced with a hand held belt grinder whereas granite cannot be especially when it chips due to an "accident". I got my last piece a 5" x 18" x 16" piece form a head stone outfit 20 years ago and have only had to re-surface once after about 12 years due to a student hitting it with a stamp that had bounced.

Yes, I understand about the marble and leather work, but as to use for a platen cover or a sanding plate it is far too soft. Frank

Back