Meteorite and bog oak swayback jack

Now that is slick! Looking at the photo I'm thinking the bolsters are also meteorite as well as the shield - then go back and read the description and see the bolsters are meteorite. Good idea. How did you attach the bolster to the Titanium liners?

Did a bit of searching and find it's "almost" impossible to solder Titanium - so how did you do it? Inquiring minds wish to know :)

Now that is slick! Looking at the photo I'm thinking the bolsters are also meteorite as well as the shield - then go back and read the description and see the bolsters are meteorite. Good idea. How did you attach the bolster to the Titanium liners?

Did a bit of searching and find it's "almost" impossible to solder Titanium - so how did you do it? Inquiring minds wish to know :)
The bolsters are attached with hidden pins peened to swell into the blind holes in the meteorite and then also peened into the liners

The bolsters are attached with hidden pins peened to swell into the blind holes in the meteorite and then also peened into the liners
Thank you for the response - I've often thought about trying peened pins, but not done it..... yet:) What size pins do you use? I would think since they're hidden size wouldn't be that important? Perhaps 3/32" Would 1/8" so large as to be hard to get the mushroom head to swell in the blind holes? The blind hole does need to be large enough to get a tiny burr inside to open it up to a mushroom space. I think I'll practice on some scrap and see if I can do something like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken H>

Thank you for the response - I've often thought about trying peened pins, but not done it..... yet:) What size pins do you use? I would think since they're hidden size wouldn't be that important? Perhaps 3/32" Would 1/8" so large as to be hard to get the mushroom head to swell in the blind holes? The blind hole does need to be large enough to get a tiny burr inside to open it up to a mushroom space. I think I'll practice on some scrap and see if I can do something like that.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken H>
3/32" pins for the pivot and spring pins, 1/16" for the pins securing the bolsters to the liners. The pivot pin and spring pins also get peened to hold everything together. The 1/16" pins are mainly to keep the bolsters from wanting to twist

1/16" is a pretty small pin hole - that would take a tiny burr to mushroom the inside. As said, I've got to play with that some. I'd planned to this afternoon but the wife sorta "snagged" to watching some TV with her. She says I don't spend much time with her. I suggest she come out and help with forging some? That's not going to happen :)

That knife's conception is so fantastic and I wouldn't mind using it as a daily pocket knife. I like meteorites. Looks so durable too.

Back