Missed on the heat treat

Justin Presson

Just thought I would share this with you guys as a learning experience.
I had a gut feeling that one out of the 4 bowies I'm working on may have not properly hardened. As you can clearly see in the picture I only got about 3" of the edge from ricasso to tip to harden.
This was the second blade I quenched. I was using canola oil and after I had quenched this blade it felt like towards the tip the file did not skate as well as it should have. I checked my oil temp and it was 125 degrees before I quenched the first blade, after the second blade(this blade) I checked it and it was at 180 degrees. I added 2 more gallons, removed it from the burner and it cooled back down to 125 or so before I quenched the other 2. I checked in between my other quenches to make sure I was withing range so hopefully 3 of the 4 were successful.
Just thought I would share. I have got to purchase some parks in the future here.
Hey at least I practiced on grinding in fullers on this one before I do the other 3.
jSujo0q.jpg

Great design on that knife. I'm with everyone else in recommending that you go back and re-heat treat the one that failed to harden. If you are using a shallow hardening steel 180° on the canola may have slowed the heat transfer rate too low to beat the nose of the curve.

Doug

Great design on that knife. I'm with everyone else in recommending that you go back and re-heat treat the one that failed to harden. If you are using a shallow hardening steel 180° on the canola may have slowed the heat transfer rate too low to beat the nose of the curve.

Doug
That's exactly what I think happened too. Lesson learned. I will be buying some Parks in the future.

If that's 1075 with low manganese it will be a very shallow hardening steel and canola will be less than optimal.
Why is it that 1075 doesn't harden well in canola? Is it too slow? Personally, I can't afford Parks yet, so is there anything better than canola? Thanks!

How big is your quench tank,mine holds 5 gallons and I usually try and do about 4 blades at a time when using my oven.I do one then stir the oil wait a minute or so then do the next one.

Back