Mokume Gane project.

That makes sense. If I guessed I would say the clamp would deform under the clamping pressure as it reaches forging temp but I have no idea how hot those metals need to be to fuse under that pressure load.

You can actually do it cold if you had a press from what I read with these two soft materials. From what I read heating them technically this doesn’t actually forge weld them in the traditional sense of the word it’s done through a different process which I forget the name of I’ll try to look at it after while and let you know. I could be way off I have to re-read the material I was reading.

You can actually do it cold if you had a press from what I read with these two soft materials. From what I read heating them technically this doesn’t actually forge weld them in the traditional sense of the word it’s done through a different process which I forget the name of I’ll try to look at it after while and let you know. I could be way off I have to re-read the material I was reading.
Speaking in general I have read that as pressure increases the amount if heat needed to fuse metals decreases so that makes sense.

I use a Press or Treadle Hammer and use the jig multiple times. Put never seize or similar product on the threads.

I don't believe this would work. Try it and let us know how it works out.

That's really cool Daniel. I'm planning to try making some with an artist friend of mine this month. Hope mine comes out as nice!

Back