My first blades

bodam

Hey guys. Just started making knives, been about a month. I'm working on very basic HF tools, disc grinder and 1x30 grinder.

Anyways, here are a few that I've done. All are 440c with different styles and handles.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414544917.854339.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414544932.952913.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414544946.941624.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Here is the most recent. I really like the way this one came out. The blue liner looks nice against the light wood. Tru Oil finish with a light rub.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414547486.797909.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414547496.574993.jpg

Those are very good for first knives. The only thing that I could recommend is that you spend a little more time getting the scratches out. Always get the scratches out from the previous belt or sand paper before going onto a higher grit. I usually grind to 400 grit on the belt grinder and then proceed by hand with sand paper lubricated with WD-40 or I put a satin finish on the blade with a Scotch-Brite belt.

Doug

I agree, grinding is the hardest for me. That was my first batch from scratch, that went out to HT. I didn't realize they needed to be "finished" before they went to HT. It took a lot of work to clean them up to that point, lol.

I was sending them out to HT with an 80 finish. I didn't realize that they come back black, and the scratches show more when they are filled with the black scale. Live and learn.

The last one I did was sanded to 400 before HT, so we will see how that one comes back. I am picking it up Friday.

Hopefully I will be ordering my Esteem grinder this week, that should help with the quality of grinding too. It's hard to find belts for the 1x30.

Thx. I ordered my Esteem Friday. Can't wait to step my game up.

Just finished this one. Cedar handle with red liner, tru-oiled.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415045849.759235.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415045859.440568.jpg

getting better for sure!

go to supergrit.com and you'll find all the belts you need. Ceramic belts and even a cork belt that's great for a satin finish. The only other belt I use right now is a scotchbrite belt I got from jantz. It helps with transitioning from the ceramic to the cork imo.

I'll probably go to Texas Knifemaker Supply here local, I like to support the local guys.

But yes, once I get my 2x72 I will be buying a bunch of belts, and the scotchbrite is on my radar. I'm hoping that will help me with my post-HT cleanup.

You are progressing quite nicely
There are a few different (textures? / grit(s)?) of scotch brite belt, I use them in much the same way I use sanding belts....start coarse and work towards the lighter grits.

Back