My First Bowie

Robert66

Whether or not the 12 inch file Bowie I started today is a custom or not I hope to show it as I have not tackled anything like it before.
I have annealed it and making 1/8th inch thick finger guard at the moment which I do not like but it is all I have.
I have scrounged some hardwood todat so it should have a decent handle, my request for fallow deer antlers has not yet come to fruition.

There is some hard grinding ahead but the ceramic belts are ace, the polishing nackuz me up..

Wish me luck.

Put up a pic of the intended design and wip pics. Be interesting to follow as you tackle this one.

I have spent hours today trying to get a flat finger guard to stop wobbling, I have a 2 piece handle which is not helping. No access to brazing yet.
I have rough ground the blade shape and half smoothed it, hard work, must be an easier way.

I have spent hours today trying to get a flat finger guard to stop wobbling, I have a 2 piece handle which is not helping. No access to brazing yet.
I have rough ground the blade shape and half smoothed it, hard work, must be an easier way.

A knife with a full guard is a big hill to tackle, and for many reasons. It is a lot of hard work and it seems like you have to do everything two or even three times.

Your issue with the guard wobbling sounds a lot like the shoulders on your blade are not perfectly square. Rest assured- that is a problem which every knife maker ever to do one has had to fight. A file guide of some sort is an absolute necessity. If you don't have one, I recommend using a set of 1-2-3 blocks clamped to the blade. Flat and square is the name of the game, and doubly so for the guard face and the shoulders.

A knife with a full guard is a big hill to tackle, and for many reasons. It is a lot of hard work and it seems like you have to do everything two or even three times.

Your issue with the guard wobbling sounds a lot like the shoulders on your blade are not perfectly square. Rest assured- that is a problem which every knife maker ever to do one has had to fight. A file guide of some sort is an absolute necessity. If you don't have one, I recommend using a set of 1-2-3 blocks clamped to the blade. Flat and square is the name of the game, and doubly so for the guard face and the shoulders.

Seems a simple idea on the face of it although I never even thought of it myself, thanks.
I am downhearted today, struggled for very little.

Have you used, or know about the litre size bottled gas which you can braze with? seems too good to be true.

Best wishes.

PS I have taken a photo on my iPhone and sent it to my macbook but it does not show, so I cannot post it.

Rbw1uzP.png

I hope this is it.
Hardened it in Canola Oil and it seems very hard, it certainly is black and pitted, job for tomorrow, costing me a fortune in wet and dry sanding paper.

I phoned a big metal recycling centre today for some scrap brass. it had just been weighed, bagged and put on lorry to cash in, the man suggested I go and see him in a weeks time when, with any luck there may be some more.

Last edited:
PS I have taken a photo on my iPhone and sent it to my macbook but it does not show, so I cannot post it.

IMG_1286.PNG

Do you see the two lines of buttons above where you type your comment? If you click the farthest one to the right on the top line (the little picture frame next to the chain) it will let you download a picture straight from your phone.

Back