My first learning experience

DBAR

You CAN teach an old Dog new tricks....

I've always collected knives, and then one day it hit me, why not make my own? I started following some really good knife makers around the forums, and on Insta Gram, and I've slowly learned a lot. I followed the likes of Shawn Hatcher, Dmitriy of DP Custom Knives, John Doyle, and Denis Mura to mention just a few. I hope to be half as good as these guys some day. They all do some spectacular work! Shawn Hatcher has even answered some of my most basic question through emails, and I really thought that was pretty awesome for a pro like him to take the time to help out a newb like me. Thank you Shawn, and I want to thank all of the knife makers who take the time to share their work here with us, it means a lot to the little guys like me.

So here's my first learning experience. I've profiled, and rough ground bevels, and heat treated 10 knives so far. Some of which I have some pretty high expectations, but I knew this was going to take some trial and error, so I took a small piece of O1 scrap, and made a Wharincliffe version of one of my favorite little knives. A Bark River PSK, by Mike Stewart, another knife maker whom I follow quite a bit. In fact I've owned 20 of his knives at one time or another. I like convex, and convex saber grinds, and Mike tends to make a lot of those.

This is a little knife, only 5 1/8" long, with a convex blade of only 2". I worked with O1 tool steel, and had the joy of learning how to heat treat and temper it myself. I finished this knife off with a hand sanded finish up to 600 grit. The scales are made of natural canvas micarta, with black G10 liners & black carbon fiber pins. My plan was to do an Anso texture, but for know it's just a polished finish. I may still do the Anso (I'd be learning how to do both handle techniques). I'll be finishing up the shaped convex edge tomorrow. I know this knife isn't perfect, it has imperfections, but I believe it's a good start, and someday I will produce one that's near perfect.

dc101a0c-832d-4819-8d29-af45ab5fe046_zpse4e2bfab.jpg 56ef0df2-b030-4d02-ae7b-331bc363ee22_zpsdcae60b2.jpg 65222bf9-e46e-4d89-b3d8-bcd32d2e42f1_zps49d47310.jpg

Sorry about the poor pictures. I'm having a hard time shooting a picture of the finish on the blade.

Maybe this one's better.
FullSizeRender8_zps93b7ec64.jpg

In making this knife I tried to use different techniques before ending up with one result, I wanted to learn as much as I could on one work. This was a very good learning experience.

Thank You,

Don

Last edited:
Look's good Don, It look's like your well on your way.

I'm still learning my self. My obsession is slipjoints and folders. It's an addictive hobby.

We are you at in MO? I'm originally from the STL area.

Jim

Nice work Don. Looks good to me. The finish on the handle and blade are very nice. The only thing thats missing is your makers mark!

I like that little guy. That would be a great all around bench knife for cutting paracord, opening boxes, cutting out templates, etc. Good job!

Welcome to the forums.

That knife turned out really well. I like the shape and handle. You did a great job.

I'm from the KC area as well.

John

Looks nice Don. I like the handle. Looks like a well thought out knife.

Thanks for the mention. :)

Nice work Don. Looks good to me. The finish on the handle and blade are very nice. The only thing thats missing is your makers mark!

Thanks, and Yes, I need to work on a Makers Mark for future knives. I was kicking around the idea of a brand name, or company name, vs. my name. My name doesn't role off the tongue as well as other names, and my intials are too common and have been used over, and over. I was thinking about DB linked together like the Dodge brothers used to do, but I'm sure there's some legal question to that.

I'll have time to think about it, as I must be the slowest knife maker in the history of knife making.

Don

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It feels good to finally finish one up, but I still have to think sheaths, and a makers mark. Not to mention perfecting some of what I now know how to do.

Justin, you're correct, it's stout. 3/16" stock. I'll switch to thinner stock after I finish up the ones I've got roughed out.

Justin, and John
It's good to hear there are some knife makers here in the KC metro area. Maybe we could all meet up and share some works, and techniques. I'm still soaking up info like a sponge.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It feels good to finally finish one up, but I still have to think sheaths, and a makers mark. Not to mention perfecting some of what I now know how to do.

Justin, you're correct, it's stout. 3/16" stock. I'll switch to thinner stock after I finish up the ones I've got roughed out.

Justin, and John
It's good to hear there are some knife makers here in the KC metro area. Maybe we could all meet up and share some works, and techniques. I'm still soaking up info like a sponge.

Thanks,

Don
Don,

That sounds like a good idea. Getting us kc guys together should be a good time.

John

I'm in the Independence area. Maybe after the 1st of the year we could all meet up somewhere. My knife making abilities are still in the early stages, and a bit limited to the limited equipment I'm working with, but I'm always looking to improve both. Bouncing ideas off of like minded people could only help all.

Hopefully we'll hear from each other in 2015.

Don

BTW Justin, your private message mail box is full.

I'm in the Independence area. Maybe after the 1st of the year we could all meet up somewhere.

I'm about an hour south of KC myself. How about we all meet Jan 10 in Meriden KS at the KCKA quarterly meeting.:biggrin:
The knife looks good Don. Light years ahead of my first one.

Chris

Back