My First Razor

BrandantR

I've been interested in trying a straight razor for my shaving needs for some time now, and since I make knives, I thought I would take it on as my next project. Since I make mostly folders, I figured it couldn't be much different than the knives I usually make. It was a little different that a liner lock, but I think it turned out alright. It's an 8/8 blade, so it's wider than a lot of razors, but it shaved quite well. I looked like a 15 year old boy after his first shave, but after the bleeding stopped, the shave was nice and clean. I guess practice makes perfect.

The specs are as follows: blade - CPM154, scales - black canvas Micarta, bolsters - nickel silver.

I also got a new maker's mark stencil that I tried it out on this blade. It's an improvement over my initials and I think I'm really going to like it. Please let me know what you think about the razor and the new mark. I appreciate any feedback that you can offer. Sorry about the crumby cellphone pics. I'll try to get some better ones soon.

WP_20160101_17_25_01_Pro.jpgWP_20160101_17_25_09_Pro.jpg

beautiful job! I really like the maker's mark. Do the bolsters make the razor heavy, or a little hard to control?

Well your blade looks good from the side,hard to tell without seeing your grind from the nose.Your new makers Mark looks awesome ! As far as the scales I would have to say you went a little overboard,scales are meant to protect the edge when not in use ,they should be light and really unoticable in your hand when shaving.Yours reminds me of a keen cutter slip joint.

Thanks, gentlemen for your kind words. Maybe I did go a little overboard on the scales, but the liners are 0.045" titanium and the bolsters and scales are just a hair under 1/16". So, they really are not heavy at all and I didn't find that they interfere at all with shaving. I guess you could call this razor a liner lock maker's razor. Best of both worlds I suppose. Anyway, I kind of like it. I don't really plan on making any more razors, but it was fun to give it a go.

My new maker's mark was my own design. I worked with Ernie and he was able to produce the stencil for it. His customer service was great and I would recommend him to anyone looking for a stencil. I'm a happy customer.

I to have started making razors. Mine aren't as fancy as yours and I do like that mark. I shave with a straight razor I made only and have been doing so for about eight months now. Takes getting use to. Razors are fun to make I need to get back to making them. Keep up the good work.

Back