My first real hidden tang.

Is this already one piece? Typically it is easier to drill and fit the bolster separately from the handle. Others my do it differently. Either way the handle looks great.

Nice! Please be super cautious when working carbon fiber, it's very dangerous stuff for the respiratory system!

Just a bit of advice from an old knifemaker..... when building any knife handle, think about the shape of the human hand, and how it closes around an object. In the case of your handle, it's large in the front, and small in the rear.

When you close your hand around something, the largest opening is at the rear of your hand, where your pinky finger closes and meets the palm/heel of the hand, and the smallest opening is where the thumb wraps over the index finger. Your design is just the opposite....which is very common with newer knifemakers.

Although it might seem counter-intuitive, you always want to design knife handles that are their smallest diameter and width near the guard, with the handle gaining size and width rearward throughout the handle's length. THEN..... when you add that to including distal tapers in the blade, you have a knife that is fast, light, and feels great in the hand. ;)

Nice! Please be super cautious when working carbon fiber, it's very dangerous stuff for the respiratory system!

Just a bit of advice from an old knifemaker..... when building any knife handle, think about the shape of the human hand, and how it closes around an object. In the case of your handle, it's large in the front, and small in the rear.

When you close your hand around something, the largest opening is at the rear of your hand, where your pinky finger closes and meets the palm/heel of the hand, and the smallest opening is where the thumb wraps over the index finger. Your design is just the opposite....which is very common with newer knifemakers.

Although it might seem counter-intuitive, you always want to design knife handles that are their smallest diameter and width near the guard, with the handle gaining size and width rearward throughout the handle's length. THEN..... when you add that to including distal tapers in the blade, you have a knife that is fast, light, and feels great in the hand. ;)
Thank sir. I will be doing more adjustments and posting updated pictures. I'm with you, I always wear a respirator no matter how much I hate them.

Back