My first two knives

IanBryant

This is number one, made from an old file with buffalo horn scales, I made a plethora of mistakes and learned a lot.
20160702_212603.jpg20160702_212632.jpg
Here is number two, I tried to apply what I learned from number one to th his one and it turned out better but I discovered many new learning opportunities (to be applied to number three) the blade is O1 and the scales are birdseye maple and horn with red/black liners. I actually attempted a hamon on this but o1 is a deep hardening steel and I got nothing...
20160720_013019.jpg20160720_012942.jpg

I'm hoping my third one will improve more.

Nice looking knives. I too have just finished up my very first knife about 2 days ago. I'll try to share a pic of it later today if I can.

Very good first attempts. As you practice and make more knives you will gain more knowledge and improve your skills. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing a few more of your knives.

DeMo

Nice looking pair of firsts. I like the blade and handle shapes on both of them. They look comfortable and practical and there is evidence that there was some thought and reason put into the profiles.

You did a real nice job on the handles, especially considering that horn can be a real PITA when it comes to shaping. You pin placement seemed to be a little high on the second knife and the first one seemed to have one high and one low. Try laying out the pin holes on the center line of the tang and then use the tang as a template to line up the holes for the pins in the handle.

As far as the grind goes get all the scratches out with one grit before going onto the next grit. Close enough for government work is not close enough. If you have to put another 10-15 minutes into it, or even another half hour, that's what you have to do. I think that that is one of the biggest lessons the vast majority of makers have had to learn. Keep going. You seem to have talent. Just try to make the next one a little better than the last.

Doug

Those are some good looking knives. #2 is a beast! I really like it. The combination of materials really adds to the overall look of the knife. Ty

Nice looking knives. I too have just finished up my very first knife about 2 days ago. I'll try to share a pic of it later today if I can.
Thanks. I look forward to see it.

Very good first attempts. As you practice and make more knives you will gain more knowledge and improve your skills. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing a few more of your knives.

DeMo
Thanks, I plan to keep at it but my bothersome employment keeps interfering. I look forward to showing them, I need criticism and direction to progress, I'll stagnate and burn out if I don't learn and improve.

Nice looking pair of firsts. I like the blade and handle shapes on both of them. They look comfortable and practical and there is evidence that there was some thought and reason put into the profiles.
Thank you...I attribute most of it to dumb luck though.

You did a real nice job on the handles, especially considering that horn can be a real PITA when it comes to shaping. You pin placement seemed to be a little high on the second knife and the first one seemed to have one high and one low. Try laying out the pin holes on the center line of the tang and then use the tang as a template to line up the holes for the pins in the handle.

As far as the grind goes get all the scratches out with one grit before going onto the next grit. Close enough for government work is not close enough. If you have to put another 10-15 minutes into it, or even another half hour, that's what you have to do. I think that that is one of the biggest lessons the vast majority of makers have had to learn. Keep going. You seem to have talent. Just try to make the next one a little better than the last.

Doug
Never has a more apt description of buffalo horn knife handles been uttered sir....let's not forget the aroma either... i did center the pins on number 3, I thought the offset would have aesthetic value...maybe...but function trumps appearance in this application so centered it is.
I could offer some ridiculous excuse for the finish on that blade but the cold,hard truth is that I should have known better...

Those are some good looking knives. #2 is a beast! I really like it. The combination of materials really adds to the overall look of the knife. Ty

Thanks. I was happy with the design of "#2" despite the execution. You are the second person to use the word "beast" in reference to that blade...I like it. My next blade is a wide bladed beast as well, kind of a v1.5 if you will...technically it's a paperweight right now because I can't order materials until corporate okays it but it's lurking in the darkness...

The jointed handles were a blast to make, I was terrified until the epoxy set and now I am eyeballing all kinds day of small chunks of stuff to see how I can incorporate them into knife handles.

Last edited:
Back