My San-mai

Chris Railey

AC8B54A8-3826-4A2A-8115-3087EDB46C3F.jpeg
When I etch the HC turns black but so does some of the MS. When I clean it up it looks toom much the same. Thinking my 1095 did not get too hard in the quench. I may dull the edge down then try to quench again. Likely it will crack but at least I will know the problem. Suggestions?

I wish I had a better suggestion, but my mild steel tended to darken when I etched the blade also, not so much as the 1095, but it's not got that really eye popping contrast like the small SS/1095 billet I did. Where you able to hold the core pretty well centered between the two mild steel layers? Since I used such thin outer layers (.090") I've got some work to do trying to keep it centered.

I think it will look better with 1084. 1084 has more manganese so should etch darker then 1095. That's just a thought though.

I think it will look better with 1084. 1084 has more manganese so should etch darker then 1095. That's just a thought though.
That was my second thought. The 1095 was not hard though so either way I had to re-quench. That sucker is hard now though. I have cleaned it up AGAIN and am etching it now. Tomorrow’s billet will have 1084 core though.

The lines of the mild steel to high carbon sure look good. In the etch did the 1095 ever thru black? When I etched my 1095 the 1095 turned black, but rubbed off easy so final results look a lot like your blade. Hey, the important thing is it's SAN MAI!!! and the welds took and look good.

Thanks, it did turn black but wiped off with the rest of the oxides. Think I will try again tomorrow with 1084.

Back