My shop is collapsing...

Forgedog

I really dont know what to do with it atm.

I purchased this home in 2018 it has a detached garage with basement. Approx 4000 square feet up and another 4000 downstairs.
The foundation wall under the bay doors had cracks in it and huge beams supporting it. We were told its been like that for years.

Lately weve had A LOT of heavy wet snow, thawing and freezing.
Today its above zero so I went out to get some work done and noticed the wall has moved in about 6" or more and the side walls are crumbling under the strain.

The beams are bowed and cracking and theres chunks of wall falling out.

Its winter and the ground is frozen, im not sure if it can be dug to relieve the pressure.
I think all I can do is get a bunch of 6"x 6" + beams and use them to support the floor and perhaos try and dig out the wall a bit.

Idk... Im calling around. Im unemployed and poor as can be, barley make enough here to keep my family fed.
And the place isnt insured.

Even Though ive barely started as a knife maker and yet to sell my first knife... I have my whole lifes savings and effort in that shop.
Metal work equipment, heat treating equipment, tools, welders, my motorcycle.

Im going to try and move some stuff out, but really have nowhere to put it other than my driveway which is currently under 3' of heavy snow and ice.

Between that and a LOT of family problems atm... Im about done, mentally, physically.

8000 sq. ft total? That's a gigantic shop! Sounds like more than you could handle by yourself to me. If the sidewall of the basement is buckling in, you might be able to weld up a couple 45 degree braces, bolt them into the concrete with some good anchors. At least stabilize it from getting worse.

Yeah lol its a decent size... I was lucky there but not so much with this wall problem.
Weld up some beams, thats a great idea!
Ill look into that...

I was told it should be fine for many more years before I can get to it, but I guess not.
The plan was to dig the outter wall and put in some drainage.
Put some sort of brackets throug the wall and pull it back into place and then re pour a new wall around it.

Now idk... It needs that pressure off it, but idk if it can be dug in the winter with the ground frozen.

You still have 3 ft of snow? and ground froze hard? WOW!!! You're way too far north. Your profile doesn't show location - where you located, north pole?

Bummer on the shop - that is one BIG place. I'm not making any suggestions because I wouldn't have a clue. I do know places where the ground freezes and thaws has a totally different set of problems foundation wise than warm places. Sometimes I think I'm too far north, and I'm South of I-10

Sounds like a pain. At least you got something to do. Sometimes that helps me when I got personal stuff going on. Then again, I get in a bad mood when I'm working and come home and the family cheers me up.

You can dig frozen ground. I've never done large scale - that's usually summer projects that I know of - but they use jackhammers out here for graves in winter. They get it done in about 3-4 days, and with 5-6 guys. They also have tents by the diggings to warm up and eat while they work. So, it's good to be able to do that if your going to be out all day in it.

Also if you have insulated clothes above zero is pretty nice - definitely doable.

Just some thoughts as I read your situation. Don't know when you'll find the time or money to do it, but I hope the day brings you some answers.

Its not a big dig either really so it may be doable...
I need a trench about twenty to thirty feet long by perhaps six feet deep and however wide to keep it from filling back up.

Yeah and I was thinking if the second floor needs to be shored up first? ...and the condition and thickness of your slab? You would need to know how thick it is before you bought anchors, anyway.

I'm not a builder, but I've helped guys. The only basement project I've seen done was in the summer. I think they shored the top floor, excavated, then repaired the walls. I also drove by a house this summer that looked like it was cribbed 8-10' high with no basement. I guess it can be super strong. Just not sure if you bottom floor slab is good.

I'm not sure if it'd be harder to excavate in winter, or if it'd even be safe without shoring the second story, and/or bracing the walls.

The frozen ground, like cement has to have a place to go if you do decide to jackhammer. So not sure if you'd want to start farther out than you need and then work up to doing around the wall last? Electric jackhammers were painfully slow when I used them.

Sorry for what you're going through... I know for me that would send my anxiety through the roof. But you will be okay. Even though we love our tools and equipment, at the end of the day it's only "stuff".

Can you post any pics of what is happening? I'm trying to visualize what is going on but can't offer any ideas for an interim "fix" at the moment without understanding exactly what's moving where.

andy

I'm not an engineer though I used to work with geological engineers. I've seen this issue in past and how they dealt with it. You might consider some helical piles. The ground would have to be quantified and then the piles driven but then the foundation/footers could be either jacked up or re-poured.

Sorry for your trouble, good luck with it!

Your statements at the end got to me Forgedog . I wish I had a quick easy fix for you, but things are never that easy. However, I will be praying for you brother. And hope you’re looking to our Father above for guidance.

When I was blinded in my left eye & let go from my job as Range Manager/Instructor at a large Firing Range-Gun store here...and bills piled up during time of no paycheck, Christ was there with me.
When my 2yo daughter suddenly passed away leaving a wake of grief & despair with no end in sight... Christ was there with me. When I was disabled in a horrible accident....arm/hand paralyzed and dealing with a life of pain, Christ IS with me.

I know pain...I know heartache and I know hardship. But what’s more important, I KNOW Christ. And I trust my Father in Heaven with my path. I hope you do the same my Friend.

Back