Need A Lead On Wood

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I have a knife I commissioned a couple of years ago and it has been on hold due to my inability to choose the handle material. This piece will be the center point of my collection, so I need the perfect block of wood.

I've decided on Black Walnut but I want the absolute best piece possible. I'm thinking a really AWESOME piece of flaming crotch wood. It will need to be a large piece due to the size of the blade (3/8" x 2 1/4" x approximately 11"). Does anyone have a good source for flaming crotch black walnut?

Might try Rob at Bad Dogs Burl Source. Not sure if he has the walnut, but he carries a lot of premium stuff.

Don has some spectacular pieces that he has sold in the past. I have a few blocks of it, but none of them are large enough. I guess I need to send him an e-mail.

I was extremely impressed with the walnut burl I got from WoodMD, and it was in big blocks (I've forgotten the exact dimensions but around 7"x2" give or take) ... I suspect he could hook you up with an exceptional piece.

Thank you for all of the information gentlemen. I believe I have a source that can square me away now.

Back