Need a little W-2!

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs,
I'm in need of a specific size of W-2 (preferably from Aldo), it needs to be 5 /16" to 1/4" X 2" wide, for a special order, I only need about a foot, I'll pay a reasonable price and of course any shipping, if anyone can help me out, I'd sure appreciate it, I guess if I don't hear from someone soon, I'll have to buy a 48" stick and I just don't use very much of that size, not to mention the expense of the one stick! I guess I could use 1084, but the customer wants W-2.
I sold him on W-2, not knowing what kind of knife he wanted, and thought I had some that was going to work, and of course I DON'T!
Thanks Guys, Rex

Sorry Rex , I do have some in oversized 1/4" but its only 1.25 wide , if that will help ? Its from Aldo stock! Bubba

Thanks Bubba, this is for a Santoku and it needs to be at least 2" wide, and after a 2 attempts at drawing out some 1 1/2" wide W-2 I have I've gotten tired of trying to get it where I want it. Truth is my arm is out of shape, I haven't been able to do much forging in the last 6 months or more. Even using my Tire Hammer isn't getting me the results I need and I need them a little faster than what I thought I would, so I just decided to go ahead and get bigger stock and forge the profile in and stock remove the rest of it so I can get it done. I've gotten a little behind with being sick the last 2 weeks and I didn't contend for the lack of hammering limiting my abilty to hammer now. It's hell getting OLD!

I worked on it last night I didn't check it out real closely, I went ahead and put it through the thermal cycles, and set it aside, I may be able to get that one to work, but I wasn't happy with it last night. It all depends how close I got the edge tapered before grinding, I try to stick with forge it thick and grind it thin way of forging. This knife is got to be a cutter, and of course I want to put a hamon on it!!!! After showing my customer another one I did, he put the 2 together (Santoku w/ hamon), thing is the one he saw was some old thin stock 1095 I had left over from when I first started, it made a great blade, super scary sharp, and that stuck in his mind for some reason, and now I've promised it, so it will happen!

Chuck,
I know all to well that Aldo will jump buildings to get me one little ole piece of steel, I kinda didn't want to bother him with such a small order, he is solid GOLD in my mind. I kinda wanted to avoid buying a big stick of it that will sit here for who knows how long, the thinner stock isn't what I generally use, most of my knives are bigger, thicker brutes....I guess I could get creative and make something different....I'll hang on till tonight to see if anyone might have a piece of scrap that'll work, if not I'll go ahead and call on my old Buddy, Unkie Aldo. I know one thing, he has absolutley spoiled me, might as well say all of us. I remember calling Admiral when I first started, lost as a dog in a cat house, and they were too. Not to mention, the service, Aldo always comes through!

Thanks guys, it would be nice if I could buy a smaller piece from someone that had some extra, one 48" piece is around $50.00 +shipping, and with Christmas and building a house, I have to watch the cash flow. Actually the direction of the flow is the problem, all of it is going out! Thanks anyway! Rex

So if your customer liked the thin stock 1095 version - and most Santoku I've seen are thin, why are you looking for 1/4" plus stock? How about some 3/32 x 2 W2?

Hey Rex,

.103/.113 x 2.25 x 16 W-2 should do the trick. I'll even grind it to a 180 grit finish. You take it from there. Heck, how long have I known you? It's never a problem brother.

Last edited:
Hey Rex,

.103/.113 x 2.25 x 16 W-2 should do the trick. I'll even grind it to a 180 grit finish. You take it from there. Heck, how long have I known you. It's never a problem brother.

Aldo,
I had ZERO doubt you would and could take care of it, Like I said, You are solid GOLD!!! Go ahead and let me know how much I owe you. I really didn't want to order such a small amount and not be able to get everything else I need and getting low on, you know how I burn through the steel,....right, I do need more 1084 and will be needing some 15n20, but that'll be after Christmas, well after Christmas....and a new refrigerator....furniture..... a couple of new beds....etc, etc.

On the brighter side, when you come down this way, I'll have room for you to stay here, since we're building a 4 bedroom house, the extra bedroom is a contingency plan in case one of our Moms needs to move in with us. So you could sack out in the "Mom's Room". HA!
<Disclaimer>!!!NO MOM WILL BE PROVIDED!!!<Disclaimer>

Thanks Buddy, do you still have my 'ship to' info? Let me know what all you need, I do appreciate it, Rex

Thanks Bubba, this is for a Santoku and it needs to be at least 2" wide, and after a 2 attempts at drawing out some 1 1/2" wide W-2 I have I've gotten tired of trying to get it where I want it. Truth is my arm is out of shape, I haven't been able to do much forging in the last 6 months or more. Even using my Tire Hammer isn't getting me the results I need and I need them a little faster than what I thought I would, so I just decided to go ahead and get bigger stock and forge the profile in and stock remove the rest of it so I can get it done. I've gotten a little behind with being sick the last 2 weeks and I didn't contend for the lack of hammering limiting my abilty to hammer now. It's hell getting OLD!

I worked on it last night I didn't check it out real closely, I went ahead and put it through the thermal cycles, and set it aside, I may be able to get that one to work, but I wasn't happy with it last night. It all depends how close I got the edge tapered before grinding, I try to stick with forge it thick and grind it thin way of forging. This knife is got to be a cutter, and of course I want to put a hamon on it!!!! After showing my customer another one I did, he put the 2 together (Santoku w/ hamon), thing is the one he saw was some old thin stock 1095 I had left over from when I first started, it made a great blade, super scary sharp, and that stuck in his mind for some reason, and now I've promised it, so it will happen!

Chuck,
I know all to well that Aldo will jump buildings to get me one little ole piece of steel, I kinda didn't want to bother him with such a small order, he is solid GOLD in my mind. I kinda wanted to avoid buying a big stick of it that will sit here for who knows how long, the thinner stock isn't what I generally use, most of my knives are bigger, thicker brutes....I guess I could get creative and make something different....I'll hang on till tonight to see if anyone might have a piece of scrap that'll work, if not I'll go ahead and call on my old Buddy, Unkie Aldo. I know one thing, he has absolutley spoiled me, might as well say all of us. I remember calling Admiral when I first started, lost as a dog in a cat house, and they were too. Not to mention, the service, Aldo always comes through!

Thanks guys, it would be nice if I could buy a smaller piece from someone that had some extra, one 48" piece is around $50.00 +shipping, and with Christmas and building a house, I have to watch the cash flow. Actually the direction of the flow is the problem, all of it is going out! Thanks anyway! Rex

You are right Aldo is a-OK . he has always been right on time with his steel . Good luck on new santouk Bubba

You are right Aldo is a-OK . he has always been right on time with his steel . Good luck on new santouk Bubba

Thanks Bubba,
Since I got Aldo coming through for me, I can't miss! OK, I'm sure I can, but I feel pretty confident I can pull it off, it shouldn't be too difficult, just getting the bevels right, and making sure it's comfortable, I was thinking of adjusting my origial design and kinda dropping the blade more under the handle, kinda raising the handle up more than straight on. I don't know how to explain how I see it in my head and I haven't drawn it up yet, I didn't get a chance to check the piece I worked on Monday, I got tied up working on the small EDC that I re-Ht'd, got it almost finished last night. I'm very happy with it, I still need to touch a few spots on it, but it's almost there. This one will be in my leg pocket most all of the time, more as a an example of my work, every maker should carry one of thier own knives, and I have never had one that I made, and as the subject always comes up, I have never had anything I could show someone. Once I get it done I'll post some pics, the hamon is SICK! And the blue Dyed & Stabilized Buckeye burl just adds to it. It's a small knife, but I managed to make it comfy in my big hands as well as my wife's and the Pup's too! And it is SHARP! Hair popping sharp, that was the problem when I first made this one 2 years ago, totally missed the HT on it, I don't know what I was thinking not getting the specifics on HTing a new steel, I learned from that experience! Thanks Bubba, I appreciate you offering, Rex

Back