Need advice about removing handles

Pelallito

Hi,
The title says all. I have a knife that I need to reheat treat. I thought that it was fine, but I suspect that it did not harden completely. It is a round knife for leather work and one point seems to be unhardened. Maybe it happened during heat treat and maybe I let it get too hot while shaping and sharpening after the heat treating. I thought that I was careful not to let the points get overheated. It is O1 4" by 1/16th"
One point cuts like a razor and the bad one felt like it folded over as I tried to use it.:( :mad:
I was thinking of heating the blade to break the epoxy bond on the handles, and someone recommended freezing it instead. I would like to take it apart without damaging the Micarta scales, if possible.
All advice happily accepted.
Normally we want to make sure the glue is a good bond, go figure, I need the reverse. :bud:
Thanks,
Fred

Last edited:
My suggesting is to pop it in the oven at around 220 for 10 minutes or so. That will break most 2-part epoxy bonds, though some have higher heat tolerance than others. Devcon 2-ton and the stuff Tracy sells respond well to that. Glove up, pull it out of the oven, and use a press (I've used my drill press) to push out the pins. Then use a razor or very thin trowel to pop the scales off. If you've used corbys or loveless bolts on the handle, you'll have to drill them out which can be tough to do without ruining your scales.

--nathan

Thanks Nathan. I have two mosaic pins in it that aren't peened, hopefully they will push out. I think that I used Acraglas on it. I have been waiting to call Brownells.
I will try it out later.
Thanks again!
Fred
Just spoke to Brownells, they said that I might have to take it to about 300 to 350 to soften the Acraglas. I will start at 220 as you suggested and then bring it up as I need to.
They did mention freezing it to break the bond, but when I told them about the pins he decided heat was a better way to go. He is not sure what it will do to the Micarta. Oh well, this is going to be interesting.
Thanks again for your advice.
Fred

Fred, can I suggest that you place the handle in a pan of boiling water for 10 - 15 mins.
You should then be able to punch out the pins and with a second boil, lift off the scales.

Chris :)

Acraglas was the exact epoxy I had in mind when I mentioned higher temperatures. The higher temperature tolerance (and super hold) is one of the reasons I use it for my handles.

--nathan

Back