Need help on forge

Grussing_Custom_Knives

Hey guys recently ive been testing my forge and it doesn't get hot enough to forge weld. I don't have alot of money after my welder purchase so im gonna make a forge I want to make one that's square like the diamond back 2 burner knife maker/welding forge. I haven't really saw info on them only the round oneshttps://vimeo.com/177018718

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a forge i will use it to forge every once in a while, make Damascus and heat treat 1084

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That first video looks like way too much propane.

I would post what size and type of burner your running, and the diameter and length of your forge chamber. It looks like you just don't have enough burner or your burner is not right. More pictures are always good.

Check out the attachments at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.

Let me know if I can help you.

Looks like you have some good deals... But I want to build a square one with insulboards. Im thinking of getting the reliner kit http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/catalog/item/6592522/6453869.htm and just building the shell and burners. What burner would be best? I saw the reil burner and it looks like it would be hard to get it lined perfectly straight down the forge.

That first video looks like way too much propane.

I would post what size and type of burner your running, and the diameter and length of your forge chamber. It looks like you just don't have enough burner or your burner is not right. More pictures are always good.

Well first of all that setup only has 1 burner and the inside is falling apart so I want to make a new one... Im thinking of getting the reliner kit http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/catalog/item/6592522/6453869.htm and building the shell and burners

For what its worth, building a square forge can be easily accomplished with just fire brick, soft or hard. No need for the insulboard. It will also be more durable and cheaper.

After spending 4 years reading thousands of threads and talking to a bunch of folks on forge design, I have come to the conclusion that the only thing to gain by building a forge for normal work is the knowledge and understanding of how it works. There is almost no monetary benefit at building a forge vs. buying one with a proven design in the long run. As soon as you build it you will want to change it, and the time you took to figure out how to make it and getting it working right you could of spend hammering metal. I would see if Bruce Bump here on the forums still has some of his forges for sale. They were priced right, and were made really well for doing forge welding in, being a vertical forge. If I had to do it all over again I would of bought one of those.

For what its worth, building a square forge can be easily accomplished with just fire brick, soft or hard. No need for the insulboard. It will also be more durable and cheaper.

After spending 4 years reading thousands of threads and talking to a bunch of folks on forge design, I have come to the conclusion that the only thing to gain by building a forge for normal work is the knowledge and understanding of how it works. There is almost no monetary benefit at building a forge vs. buying one with a proven design in the long run. As soon as you build it you will want to change it, and the time you took to figure out how to make it and getting it working right you could of spend hammering metal. I would see if Bruce Bump here on the forums still has some of his forges for sale. They were priced right, and were made really well for doing forge welding in, being a vertical forge. If I had to do it all over again I would of bought one of those.

Well I already have the hole and regulator and I can't imagine costing 700$ in materials... Btw i 14 and i have all the time in the world lol. And I like the knowledge as well so with that said what type of forge would be best for me and easiest to build? Im afraid to build a round one because it seems hard to get the swirling effect and I have a round one now and it sucks, I know people that use a diamondback 2 burner for Damascus. So what forge do you think would be good for me?

Way too much gas.

Or alternatively, way too little air.

I can't see what you are using for a burner in the Video. If it is a Naturally Aspirated burner, either it has a choke and it is closed, or your gas jet is much too big. If the choke is closed, try it open. Otherwise, in your case, a smaller jet will burn hotter and use less gas.

As said, you have time. You are at the age where you learn stuff relatively easily. Spend a day changing gas jets in the burner and see what happens as you change the jet sizes. Take notes. Bear in mind that you will be changing the air:fuel ratio. It is quite a good idea to do this with a forge you can consider disposable, since melting most linings is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Once you understand what is going on with the burner, then you will be in a much better position to decide what forge you want for the work you want to do.

Way too much gas.

Or alternatively, way too little air.

I can't see what you are using for a burner in the Video. If it is a Naturally Aspirated burner, either it has a choke and it is closed, or your gas jet is much too big. If the choke is closed, try it open. Otherwise, in your case, a smaller jet will burn hotter and use less gas.

As said, you have time. You are at the age where you learn stuff relatively easily. Spend a day changing gas jets in the burner and see what happens as you change the jet sizes. Take notes. Bear in mind that you will be changing the air:fuel ratio. It is quite a good idea to do this with a forge you can consider disposable, since melting most linings is not beyond the realms of possibility.

Once you understand what is going on with the burner, then you will be in a much better position to decide what forge you want for the work you want to do.

I adjusted the burner(pulled the assembly with the mig tip back (it's like a trex variant)) but the diamiter is too big, it has no itc coating and it's falling apart si I will heat treat with that but I'm going to build another forge for Damascus and forging knives. I will probably run it on 2 "T burners" so it can be up to 700 cubic inches. Do u have any ideas on a good shell?https://vimeo.com/177513781

Back