Need Reccomnedations for a Guard on a Full Tang

Eddie Mullins

I have a request for a full tang hunter's short sword with a guard. I have seen a Bruce Bump Bowie build using a frame to give the look of a full tang, and the Loveless method sliding the guard on from the blade end, but it restricts the blade profile, are there other methods? Would I be better off just trying to persuade the customer to go with a hidden tang?

Original hunting swords are almost always hidden tang. However, you might consider a guard fitted from the blade side to shoulders on the full tang. It would need to be pinned or soldered, or both for secure strength.

I have seen a pic of a hidden tang knife "converted" to a full tang knife so they could fit a guard in it. That is a funny way of saying it but I hope you get the pic. I tried one and had that part work but had trouble with the grind and it is somewhere in my shops junk pile. Ed

You could make it a full tang with front bolsters.

That was one of the options I proposed to him, but he wants a front guard.

I showed him and example pic and he has opted to go with a frame handle. It will be my first, so I have a feeling I will be studying your WIP again : ) .

He wants a rustic looking Brute de Forge knife, and doesn't like "flashy" so I am also thinking of trying another first and either bluing or doing a forced patina on the mild steel fittings. I may have questions about that too, perhaps for another thread....

Another possibility: have the shoulders (where the guard will set) wider than the widest part of the handle.

I have seen a pic of a hidden tang knife "converted" to a full tang knife so they could fit a guard in it. That is a funny way of saying it but I hope you get the pic. I tried one and had that part work but had trouble with the grind and it is somewhere in my shops junk pile. Ed

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I think what you are describing is a frame handle, if not I am not sure I follow what you are describing. I'd like to see pics.

Another possibility: have the shoulders (where the guard will set) wider than the widest part of the handle.

I tried to sort out how to do that on paper previously and I didn't see how to do it without creating a gap in the transition from guard to handle. The frame handle seemed the only option to fill that gap. If you have an example or drawing, I'd love to see it.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I think what you are describing is a frame handle, if not I am not sure I follow what you are describing. I'd like to see pics.

Can't do a pic yet. sorry, draw a full tang knife and then draw a hidden tang about 1/2 as long as the handle on that hull tang. Cut the full tang on the line of the hidden tang. You can then slide the guard over the hidden tang and reattach the full tang after the guard is on. Make any sense? Ed

I tried to sort out how to do that on paper previously and I didn't see how to do it without creating a gap in the transition from guard to handle. The frame handle seemed the only option to fill that gap. If you have an example or drawing, I'd love to see it.
Maybe this link will give you some ideas. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15053
There is quite a tradition of hunting swords in Europe, well worth looking into, IMO. Try a search on grosse messer, langes messer, and kriegsmesser to see some classic designs.

Last edited:
Look Up Kyle Royer's thread on Blade Forums, Coffin handle bowie for sale. He has a pic of what I am talking about. Sorry about not just posting a pic but I Have a lot to learn about these computers. Ed

Look Up Kyle Royer's thread on Blade Forums, Coffin handle bowie for sale. He has a pic of what I am talking about. Sorry about not just posting a pic but I Have a lot to learn about these computers. Ed

That is what I would refer to as a frame handle.

BTW - the maker was only 17 at the time, very impressive.

Maybe this link will give you some ideas. http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15053
There is quite a tradition of hunting swords in Europe, well worth looking into, IMO. Try a search on grosse messer, langes messer, and kriegsmesser to see some classic designs.

Well now you have gone and given me a whole new path to venture down, thanks, I think! LOL.

I did a full size, 20 inch +/- drawing of the knife this weekend, I don't think I realized what I have gotten myself into, but am looking forward to the challenge.

Back