Need some help from the Canadians/ northerners

Travis Fry

I just got offered a temporary work assignment (10 months) in Calgary. I'm from Texas, and I've lived on the Equator--in short, I know how to deal with heat. I don't know how to deal with the kind of cold they have up there. Even my dog has short hair! I have no idea how to keep warm and still dress professionally (I'd be working downtown), or how to keep my family warm and happy in persistently frigid weather.

Knifemaking will be out of the question during this time, unless I can find some friendly locals who will let me come over, but it'd be good work experience.

Can anyone chime in with advice?

Calgary now?

I'm in a lot warmer part of Canada but layers are key. Fancy gortex stuff is great but I find dressing in layers of just about anything is just as good. The layer closest to the skin should be the tightest and then your clothes should be looser in each successive layer. Out here in -10C with a good breeze (wind chill-20) I tend to go with long underwear (Top and bottom) shirt, pants, sweater, and insulated coveralls sometimes I add a vest or parka depending. Add some gloves, boots and a toque and your good to go. I should qualify I work for a land survey firm so when I get out I'm out all day, and I'm not much good for fashion. Hands head and feet are the key if you can keep those warm you can stand a lot of cold. I keep a pair of extra gloves inside my coveralls and switch them as the ones I'm wearing get cold or wet. In my experience fashion takes a back seat to warmth.

Your welcome to stop by my shop but I'm about 5000km east of Calgary :). Have fun and make sure to check out the Rocky Mountains and any other local stuff you can find.

Back