Never saw one but I want one. But here is a cad rendering of two of them (Cutler's Anvil, Stiddy, Steady Rest)

Absinthe

I am reading through a repair book not, and I have also seen reference to this tool in another place. They always show some sort of engineered drawing, so I thought, great I will put it in CAD.
The recommendation is always make them from some good hardenable steel. These things are 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 5" ... where does one get such a piece of hardenable steel? Anyway, sharing renders. I do have the CAD file, one could theoretically 3D Print these for fun. I can try to machine it, but it sounds like moving some serious metal. And I still don't understand the big curves.

1.png

6.pngThat is the Harris model. He likes holes and slots.

This is based on an image that keeps getting posted without attribution. I assume it is from a book, but whose? The page I keep seeing is:
97b7cd33d276369a253c433485ed37ff--knife-making-pocket-knives.jpg

... If there are other models out there that have dimensions I can try my hand at CADding them up too.

I don't know any wj places but the online ones aren't cheap. I am pretty sure that if I could get a chunk big enough I could actually machine one, though it seems like it might take some time.

I have a hexagon on the way which should help with pins and whatever. I assume I can put a piece of steel in vise for that 1/8" part. Though I think I saw someone else use a chunk of angle and clamped the scale upside down.

I do have a 4" vise that broke. The moving jaw snapped. So I am thinking of pulling the arm. That leaves me with a small flat anvil and a sort of horn thing. I might be able to somehow modify that to have that sort of shape.

Lastly, I have a chunk of rr rail so maybe I can machine that or.attach an angle to it.

Last I saw for sale were made with D2 steel
Up until now, I have only priced medium/high carbon steels in 3/32, 1/8, and 1/4". These particular designs seem to be working with something that starts out at 1-1/2". When I look on places like OnlineMetals the biggest I see are in the 1" thickness. And very high price when I try to get it to the 3.5x5 size. This suggests that I would be welding pieces together. So the top could be 1/2 x 1-1/2 x 5 with the base being 2 pieces of 3/4 x 1-3/4 x 2-1/2.
I think I will keep my eyes out for them for sale. Or perhaps lay my hands on another chunk of rr track. Or maybe look through the forums here for ideas on makeshift solutions.

I made one from part of an old Fork Lift Tine, maybe 5 years ago. Used a Rotabroach with TCT cutter to get the large radii and an angle grinder for most of the rest. Finally finishing the working faces on the belt grinder. The material was reasonably hard and properly tough as found (I tried to keep it cool while grinding). It went to a maker of folding knives and he seemed pretty happy with it, though I've not had an update for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20180522_152742.jpg
    IMG_20180522_152742.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 25
Back