Nevermind

Thanks for sharing!
I know it's a controversial subject but a sharp drill bit for me is the one that manages to make a hole and period.
if it is damaged I just buy another and try again.
One thing I noticed recently is to use nuts to check the angle of the edging, as shown in the attached pic.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-9.53.17-AM.png
    Screen-Shot-2015-09-18-at-9.53.17-AM.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 3
I learned to sharpen drill bits in machine shop class when i was a sophomore in high school. Thats one thing that always stuck with me and became a necessity when i started making knives

I hand sharpen all my bits...It is something I've been able to do for over 30 years. It is very much a skill like blade grinding...can be learned by anyone, some guys quicker than others.

Knowing how geometry affects material being drilled will give you understanding of best included angle, back rake, how much to thin the webb, etc.

Busted drills are super cheap at flea markets and garage sales...a great way to learn...start at about 3/8 dia for ease of seeing what you are doing...then go smaller.

Good information here.

I have a Drill Doctor and haven't had very good luck with it. Lots of times by the time I realize I have the bit aligned wrong it's too late and the bit is ruined. It takes quite a bit of practice to get it to work right.

I think I'll give this 59 degree block of wood method a try. Thanks for the tip.

Back