New addition to the shop...

Smallshop

KNIFE MAKER
i did some gear work for a friends 1926 Rumley tractor...I traded a milling machine for it plus $500 his direction....The pic is not the exact machine but same condition and model...a FRAY Model C....geared head...upper table lower table...an amazing manual mill. cat 30 taper instead of r8...much stronger! and can take holder in and out without losing settings. Also horizontal mill capabilities.fray c.jpg

Here's the work I did for it...

DSC01502.JPGDSC01515.JPGDSC01519.JPG

We just timed the insert to the mating gear...tightened the six 1/4-20 screws....then we are removing it tomorrow to final ream and pin and lock-tighting of six screws....then in a week i move the "new" mill in....the milling machine is 1/4 mile from my house and my trade partner is moving it for me!

The tractor had been repaired twice...and broke again...I went with brass so that if it fails again we can repair again...I am certain that the repair I did was more accurate than brazing individual teeth back on...which was what was done the first two times.

i did some gear work for a friends 1926 Rumley tractor...I traded a milling machine for it plus $500 his direction....The pic is not the exact machine but same condition and model...a FRAY Model C....geared head...upper table lower table...an amazing manual mill. cat 30 taper instead of r8...much stronger! and can take holder in and out without losing settings. Also horizontal mill capabilities.View attachment 63944

Here's the work I did for it...

View attachment 63945View attachment 63946View attachment 63947

We just timed the insert to the mating gear...tightened the six 1/4-20 screws....then we are removing it tomorrow to final ream and pin and lock-tighting of six screws....then in a week i move the "new" mill in....the milling machine is 1/4 mile from my house and my trade partner is moving it for me!

The tractor had been repaired twice...and broke again...I went with brass so that if it fails again we can repair again...I am certain that the repair I did was more accurate than brazing individual teeth back on...which was what was done the first two times.

SmallShop - you are amazing! Can’t wait to see some stuff coming off that milking machine.

Thanks guys...I worked in dad's shop at age 12...went to trade school at age 15....will be 57 this year...it's about all I know...something had to stick along the way...

But I know guys I'll never be as good a machinist as....Like Han Solo said while driving the gungun submarine....There's always a bigger fish...lol

This mill is a rare gem i think...way more capability than my Bridgeport but hard to find info on...!

Ted I had to go look it up, 1926 Rumley tractor! I suspected it was something like this!
Check this one out!

Got a short story for you. I don't think the Rumley's were kerosene powered!

But it made me think of this story! Anyway here is my short story!!
My father grew up in that generation. I was born and raised in Nebr. the first 18yrs of my life. We went to a steam powered doings slated for an entire weekend. I think it was at Minden, Nebr. That had advertised that there would be a tractor pull off! They had all sorts of demonstrations that day from thrashing machines powered by the steam tractor and all sorts of saws and other equipment! It was really a nice event!
What the pull off was all about it was to be between a steam powered tractor and a four wheel drive, break in the middle John Deere with all four tires as large as what you think of on the rear of a tractor!! They held the pull off till the last thing of the day!
I remember asking my Dad what he thought was going to happen in the pull off! He looked at me and said if the steam tractor knows his stuff and he don't spin a tire,...……………… he will take him! Well it come time and the contestants were asked if they were ready. A horn sounded the start and the John Deere seemed to be getting the advantage the steam tractor began to move slightly his direction. The John Deere driver got cocky and he blew his horn. Suddenly the steam engine began to smoke the John Deere stopped moving ahead. The John Deere driver got a little more throttle and began to squirm the break in the middle looking for more traction. The steam engine began to move the John Deere slightly backwards and then he began to lay down on his steam whistle. The John Deere was beginning to spin all four of his four wheel drive wheels and that when the steam engine driver laid to him and laid down on the steam whistle and try as he might the John Deere could not stop himself from being drug across the field after about 12 ', the length of the John Deere plus! The John Deere was digging ruts and the steam engine was beginning to slow down on the pull, the steam tractor hit his whistle two short blasts and one long and he shut the old gal down! He had proven his point!! He told me and my Dad, that the John Deere had gotten him the day before. I spun my wheels at the beginning of the pull and then I couldn't stop him!! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Cliff....they are a neat old tractor. he also has a 1926 Huber....I made an entire timing gear for that one and a float for the carb...he does antique baling demonstrations...using a baler that has what they called an "iron chinaman" to help feed the chute. This year he had to use the Huber cause the Rumley was broke and I didn't have time to fix it...till a month ago. he will do a demo in Sept at a antique tractor meet using the Rumley (The Rumley is his "sweetheart"...lol). he has all kinds of attachments that can run off the big flat belt pto...folks really love to see how these old tractors were actually used! Arvid is 80 years old...still loads and binds his own equipment for shows....tough ol' bird.

For garage-hacks like me who never learned machining, YouTube has been a godsend. My machining skills are still somewhere around "middle school shop class kid" but I really enjoy it. Being self taught I often don't know the right way to do things, but I know enough to figure out *a* way.

Any method that gives you the results you were after...and leaves you all your digits...is an acceptable method.

i never wanted to be a machinist...wanted to go to art school.

father knows best...lol. Now I'm glad he won that argument.....

Too funny Ted!! I actually studied art once upon a time. Not that I wanted to be an artist, it was just an easy class. However some of it must have stuck, when I watch Antique Roadshow, every once in a while someone will bring an old painting and ask is it worth anything. I will go that is a Van Gogh, or wow that is a Monet!!! Go figure can't remember why I went into the next room and yet I can remember something I was taught at age 16!!!

Any method that gives you the results you were after...and leaves you all your digits...is an acceptable method.

father knows best...lol. Now I'm glad he won that argument.....
There are a lot of hungry artists in this would bro:) Glad to see you made the smart choice.

I’m a frustrated artist. I like to draw and be creative. Never was good enough to be serious but people would always say you should have been an artist. Maybe that’s why I married my first wife. She was definitely an artist.
Seriously though. I think anyone that chooses a craft - millwork, knife making, basket weaving - it’s the inner artist that sets them apart.
Just my own personal opinion.

Back