For Sale - Tools New Angle Peen Hammers Available!

KenH

Ed, those are neat looking hammers, and I like what you said about the hammers being a tad softer than other hammers, so don't be hammering cold hard stuff. BUT - looking at the photos I see the split handles, but didn't find anywhere it talked about the why of splitting the handle like that. Would you comment on the split please? Is the split to provide a small amount of shock absorption to reduce shock to the arm while forging?

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
The "split" handles are a trick that Wayne Goddard showed me years ago. The split gives the handle a very slight amount of flex, which gives the hammer a "snap" at the end of each stroke/blow. It also acts a a "shock absorber" so there not nearly as much shock traveling up the user's arm. Another benefit that I've found, is that I simply don't break split handles.....prior to using the split handles, I'd routinely break hammer handles.....but in the nearly two decade I've been splitting handles....I think I've broken only one.

Jon Buescher

The "split" handles are a trick that Wayne Goddard showed me years ago. The split gives the handle a very slight amount of flex, which gives the hammer a "snap" at the end of each stroke/blow. It also acts a a "shock absorber" so there not nearly as much shock traveling up the user's arm. Another benefit that I've found, is that I simply don't break split handles.....prior to using the split handles, I'd routinely break hammer handles.....but in the nearly two decade I've been splitting handles....I think I've broken only one.
If you ever feel like doing it, I would like to see how wide, and deep you split your handles, I handled all of my hammers and would Like to try that!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Honestly, I've experimented with it, and I don't find any difference between a tiny "split", about 2x the thickness of the bandsaw blade.... and larger/wider splits. NOW, the length of the "split" does make a lot of difference.....the longer the split, the more flex it gives the handle....and the more "snap" it provides at the end of harder strikes/blows. There is a point, when that "split" gets too long..... I'd venture to say anything beyond 3/4 of the handle length is too much split. So, width isn't important, keep the length at 1/2 the handle length of less....just to sway on the safe side.

Johan Nel

The comments on the split made me go and look! It is intriguing. I've never seen this before, but I will remember it for future reference.

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
I'd encourage anyone to give it a try. I was very skeptical when Wayne showed/told me about it.....but because it was coming from a legend like Wayne Goddard....

I tried it, and within a month, EVERY hammer handle in the shop was split. :)