New Here

MT Knives

Hi, my name is Patrick and I just started full time knife making a couple of weeks ago. I am looking forward to meeting new people and getting to know more about making knives. I took the 500 intensive class from Murray carter around 3 years ago. I just launched my first limited edition knives and they sold out in 6 mins! so now i am working like crazy to get them done.

I am looking at buying a knife grinder I like the TW-90 but can buy both a vertical and horizontal grinder for the same price and have a back up grinder (KMG). I have been looking at many different grinders and reading up on the forum here but what is your thoughts on the best grinder... also looking for a power hammer what is best for making knives 25# 50# or 100#? I know it matters if you want to forge weld which I would like to in the future but right now just looking for making knives.

I have been using a homemade grinder and forging by hand. Thank You all for sharing your knowledge I know I have a lot to learn and looking forward to forging new relationships here!

Patrick
MT Knives

Last edited:
Hello patrick,
Welcome to the pack here at KDs.
I own a Coote 2 x 72 a KMG 2 x 72 and a Hardcore products 2 x 72. out of the three, the two I would buy again are the Coote for its simplicity and ease of set up and mobility and the Hardcore products for it smooth operation and exacting standards.

The KMG while a usable machine, I would not purchase again because by the time I had replaced the bearings" Chinese" and added some rubber wheels I was close enough to the cost for me, of a Hardcore products grinder that I just plugged in and turned on.
I use the KMG for mostly just a small wheel grinder now.

The TW-90 is the next machine I will purchase. I have heard nothing but great reviews on that machine and if If I lost everything in fire or something I would buy the TW-90 today.

I have a motto that I use for all of my tool, firearm and other purchases.
"Only cry once!" Buy the best you can possibly afford instead of being dissatisfied with a tool every time you use it Make sure you get an variable speed motor.

www.cootebeltgrinder.com
www.trugrit.com You can see the Hardcore products grinder on their site.

And the TW-90 is a great grinder. I have been running mine for just over a year now and have nothin but good stuff to say about it, as well as Travis.

Thank You, I always try to buy the best when it comes to tools. I figure especially if you are going to make a living with a tool you are always money ahead to buy the best, better work and saves time and money the last thing I need is a tool that always needs repaired or tinkered with.

Thank You,

Thank You, Yeah I have been impressed with it since I saw it. I was a welder for 7 years and it looks like a pretty good design.

this was the first one there are a few things I wasn't happy about but that is pretty well with any knife I make there is almost always something I would change :)

Welcome to KD. Nice knife. I have used several different high end grinders while taking ABS classes. My next grinder will be a TW90. Very well made and I can see the difference it makes on the knives I worked on in class.

Oh and Everyone asks what the MT stands for so I will save you the trouble :) Proverbs 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

Back