New kitchen knives!

Taz, you should think about making your own photo gallery on here. The progression over time is cool, as well as having all your knives in one place.

Any tips for how you ground that so thin without compromising the edge? I tried it once on 1084 and could not get the steel to stop rolling or chipping. I wasn't sure if it was my heat treat or if it was even possible.

I do a full flat grind on a glass platen first, then I use a platen with F3 felt on it to give a convex grind. I slow the belts way down and keep the belt wet and the blade cool as I go.

The san mai is at 64 rockwell, so its very hard. The nitro V is 62 rockwell.

Any tips for how you ground that so thin without compromising the edge? I tried it once on 1084 and could not get the steel to stop rolling or chipping. I wasn't sure if it was my heat treat or if it was even possible.
practice and slow going... but kitchen knives that don't look ground like that are often compromised, you can use thicker stock, and the bevels not quite as acute, but almost without fail they must end up that thin at the very edge.

Back