Hi everyone I hope all is well with everyone. Just want to introduce myself. I’m Dave friends call me Lefty. I work full time on a farm/cattle operation in South Dakota. I have been blacksmithing for over 20 years but got interested in knife making about 2 years ago. So far I have only made a few knives for friends and family.

here are a couple of knives that I've made. The first 2 pics are of an EDC the first knife I ever made. the second is the first and only folder that I will probabally make, it was a gift for my father-in-law.

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 12
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 15
  • knife3.jpg
    knife3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 17
  • knife4.jpg
    knife4.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 16
That is a great way to introduce yourself Lefty. I have been making crossdraw sheath like your one with the one difference being that I have had the back piece being the full skirt with the belt slots. My idea was that it would put less bend strain on the leather but your version certainly looks good with the full skirt being on the front as well. I will continue doing it my way for the larger JT Ranger knives but may re-think the idea, especially on the smaller knives although I think that a single full skirt is sufficient.
CmmdMzhl.jpg

Love the blade shape on the folder and like you I have made just the one and probably no more.

That is a great way to introduce yourself Lefty. I have been making crossdraw sheath like your one with the one difference being that I have had the back piece being the full skirt with the belt slots. My idea was that it would put less bend strain on the leather but your version certainly looks good with the full skirt being on the front as well. I will continue doing it my way for the larger JT Ranger knives but may re-think the idea, especially on the smaller knives although I think that a single full skirt is sufficient.
CmmdMzhl.jpg

Love the blade shape on the folder and like you I have made just the one and probably no more.

CmmdMzhl.jpg

CmmdMzhl.jpg

Thank you very much. I got my ideas for that sheath from Pinterest there is another design on there that I would like to try to copy but I’m not sure if I will or not. I chose that design because it fits well underneath my chaps. The two biggest problems that I have found from wearing it in the front like I have been or like you said puts a lot of undue stress on the leather as well as my belt I was thinking of using a similar design but instead of putting belt loops on the sides maybe sewing one single loop to the back just a little more narrow Those are some great looking knives and sheaths you have there. I have been spending most of my time doing research on knife making and I’m starting to build up my shop now currently I am bouncing between two different shops on the ranch one where I forge my bill it’ I have been spending most of my time doing research on knife making and I’m starting to build up my shop now currently I am bouncing between two different shops on the ranch one where I forge my Billets And the other where I do my hand filing and finishing

One thing to be aware of if you make a single loop for the cross draw is that it needs to be firm on the belt as in a 2 inch loop for a 2 inch belt or the sheath risks tipping toward the heavy end.
This is one I do the my AH (Africa Hunting [forum]) EDC knife and the further off horizontal you make the sheath the more pronounced the problem can be. Just something to be aware of when thinking about the loop size. The top of the loop is sewn to the back of the sheath as high up as possible before the bend so that the sheath will sit back as flat as possible against the belt.
nYI4ddZl.jpg

Thank you very much for the input I didn’t think about that.

What I was mainly thinking about what stitching a single piece of leather to the back of the sheath Allowing for the back to act as part of the loop

One thing to be aware of if you make a single loop for the cross draw is that it needs to be firm on the belt as in a 2 inch loop for a 2 inch belt or the sheath risks tipping toward the heavy end.
This is one I do the my AH (Africa Hunting [forum]) EDC knife and the further off horizontal you make the sheath the more pronounced the problem can be. Just something to be aware of when thinking about the loop size. The top of the loop is sewn to the back of the sheath as high up as possible before the bend so that the sheath will sit back as flat as possible against the belt.
nYI4ddZl.jpg
Or suggest to them that when they put it on their belt to stick the point of the sheath through their next belt loop to keep it from tipping.

Howdy, thanks. if you don't mind my asking where do you Cowboy at? Cattlle and knives are my 2 greatest passions and I'm always interested in chatting about both with folks especially Cowboying from other places.

Well calling myself a cowboy is a bit of a stretch but I've run cattle for quite a few people out in my neck of the woods. I'm in Texas about 20 miles West of a little town called shamrock out in the country. Beautiful country up in South Dakota.

Well calling myself a cowboy is a bit of a stretch but I've run cattle for quite a few people out in my neck of the woods. I'm in Texas about 20 miles West of a little town called shamrock out in the country. Beautiful country up in South Dakota.
Yeah we love it up here. My mom grew up in Texas little small town of Wimberly.
As long as you’re chasing cattle and livin by the code you’re a cowboy
Welcome and very nice work.
Thanks

Back