New RPI 2X72

Gliden07

Well gents I bit the bullet and ordered a 2X72 from Reeder Products! Bought the Basic machine. Ordered some Lightning Wheels from Oregon Blades. Looking for the motor now. I work in the electrical field and have quote requests out for a 2HP 3PH motor. Next will be the AC drive. Probably gonna be a KBAC-27 as they seem to be the only relatively affordable one just under $400 with shipping. Onto belts now!! Got to save some more and sell some more!! Still I'm broke again but excited!!

Last edited:
Check out automation direct for a motor if your quotes don't work out. Their IronHorse line is very good for a grinder. A 2hp 56C frame 3 phase 3600 rpm is $152

I sure will! I got a price from one of my suppliers $238 delivered to my location and it's a Marathon Motor. Got a price from Baldor knocked me off my stool!! Cost was $479!! Told rep I could buy it online for less their attitude was "go ahead".

Just wanted to update my post. I'm not a motor expert, but the one they had for $152 is 3600 rpm, they also have a 1800 rpm for $204. I believe and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1800 rpm will have more torque and would be less likely to bog down when you are hogging metal with a 36 grit. I do believe both will work fine for your grinder though. I have 2 of the 2hp 1800 rpm and they work just as good as my leeson with the same specs.

Just wanted to update my post. I'm not a motor expert, but the one they had for $152 is 3600 rpm, they also have a 1800 rpm for $204. I believe and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1800 rpm will have more torque and would be less likely to bog down when you are hogging metal with a 36 grit. I do believe both will work fine for your grinder though. I have 2 of the 2hp 1800 rpm and they work just as good as my leeson with the same specs.

I'll check them out. Anybody know of a VFD other than the KB that's a 4X enclosure that's more reasonable then the KB?? The least expensive I've found is $357 shipped. Got a quote from my Rep (same guy as the motor) was a good brand but it was almost $900.

Just bite the bullet and get a KBAC VFD. It's simply the best one available for a grinder application. I can't count the hours I've spent trying to help others who purchased a "cheap" VFD and had issues. It's just not worth the perceived savings.

For a number of years now, I've been purchasing motors and controllers from: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/

Yeah Ed I probably will end up with the KB. Def wanted a 4x enclosure so that left all the cheapies out!

Just bite the bullet and get a KBAC VFD. It's simply the best one available for a grinder application. I can't count the hours I've spent trying to help others who purchased a "cheap" VFD and had issues. It's just not worth the perceived savings.

For a number of years now, I've been purchasing motors and controllers from: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/

This.

The KB vfd is worth every penny. Buying an enclosure, figuring out how to cool it, putting the controls on the box.... you won't beat price when you figure the TOTAL cost of setting up your vfd.

I Emailed Greg Reeder at RPI they use 1700-1800 RPM motors with a 5" drive wheel and KB drive get around 4350SFPM on the machine. I bought the Oregon Blade Lightning Wheels it has a 5" drive wheel. The gent at Oregon Blades told me that they were better in every way to the Aluminum wheels. I believe him because they sell both and the Aluminum wheels were more money! If the Reeder machine is as nice as it looks this is going to be the best addition to my workshop in some time!

Ok just waiting for the Grinder. Got a Marathon 2HP 3ph motor, Oregon Blade Lightning Wheels with a 5" drive wheel, the KB27 Drive and a Harbor Freight tool stand. Need some misc stuff nuts bolts wiring some plywood. But have to wait for grinder to really figure out all of that? 1 step closer!!

Called Reeder Products to find out about when I may expect my grinder. I got an answering machine woman speaking, "Hi you've reached the Reeders please leave a message and will get back to you", felt like i called a friend that wasnt home!! Left my message with my reference number and hung up. Headed home from work that night and my cell rings, number I don't know, "Hello" I say "Is this Steve?" Voice on Phone, "Yeah?", "this is Greg Reeder". Had a pleasant conversation with him, answered all my questions, and told me it should be shipping next Tuesday!! So maybe I'll have it by next weekend??!! Still gonna have to set it up though.

Last edited:
OK, so just Googled KBAC VFD and this popped up! Well I can't figure out how to get a screenshot to work on this but here is the search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=KBA...e..69i57.1884289j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So on that search, there is 5 different units across the top and five different prices and more if you click on the arrow on the right side. So what are we looking at here??? What is recommended???

Also I got to ask what is the big advantage to a variable frequency AC drive?? I mean I may see some of the advantage especially with handle material but how much can you slow down grinding steel till you aren't really cutting any more!!

Now remember sometimes you don't know you are missing something till you get to try or see it in action. I saw one set-up over at Ken's in Bama but, didn't get to see him on it or try it! So I am really trying to understand what the VFD does!!!

Im not an expert but what I do know is, 1) It will take a 3PH motor and let you run it on 1PH, 2) it makes the motor variable speed, the drive is also tunable via pots in the drive for min RPM, it also allows you to increase RPM again via settings in the drive, it makes the motor reversable (good for sharpening). I'm sure I'm missing other things that others can chime in on. Most of the differences on the ones you listed are because of HP ratings. The KB24 will do up to a 1HP, the 27 up to 2HP and the 29 up to a 3HP. For some reason KB charges more for the White color I haven't figured that out? The least expensive I found the KBAC-27D for was $357.00 delivered to me from KB Electronics on Amazon. I just looked at that listing again that White KBAC29 for $325.00 with free shipping is the BEST DEAL I've seen!

Last edited:
OK, so just Googled KBAC VFD and this popped up! Well I can't figure out how to get a screenshot to work on this but here is the search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=KBA...e..69i57.1884289j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So on that search, there is 5 different units across the top and five different prices and more if you click on the arrow on the right side. So what are we looking at here??? What is recommended???

The KB drives come in two basic flavors: 3-phase input and Single Phase input. For we mere mortals, our houses only have single phase. So in the Single Phase offerings, you can choose to run your VFD off 110 or 220. Using 110VAC input limits you to 1Hp I believe, but it may be 1.5HP The 220VAC input single phase models go up to 3HP if I'm not mistaken. So, all that determines the model number you're after.

Also I got to ask what is the big advantage to a variable frequency AC drive?? I mean I may see some of the advantage especially with handle material but how much can you slow down grinding steel till you aren't really cutting any more!!

Two big things:

1. It allows you to change motor speed on the fly. All you have to do is turn the knob to speed up or slow down. This doesn't sound like a big deal until you have it, then all of a sudden you get control over your grinds like you never imagined. You can get past splice bump for the most part, you can control your heat better, you can speed up to hog off material and then slow down, which is awesome when you are doing handle shaping.

2. High torque at slow speeds. A VFD can run your motor at slow speed, but give it all the juice it needs for constant torque. If you've ever used a DC drive, you probably noticed that as the motor slows down it loses power. A VFD solves that problem. You get full torque across the speed range.

Obviously, you don't need a VFD to make knives. But man is it nice. As soon as my drill press motor goes out that will get a 3ph motor so I can run it off my grinder's VFD. Ditto for my bandsaw.

"So on that search, there is 5 different units across the top and five different prices and more if you click on the arrow on the right side. So what are we looking at here??? What is recommended???" (hey...how do I quote text in the new forum software) ?

Here's where I purchase my VFDs: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.search

In general they are sized to the MAX hp each is capable of operating. The models, and the general hp motors they can handle are... 24D (for up to 1hp motors), the 27D (for up to 2hp motors), and the 29D (for up to 3hp motors). The way to choose the correct model for the motor is to look at the "output" of the controller, and the max amp draw of the motor (it's listed under each specific controller/VFD model) The max amp draw of the motor cannot exceed the max output amps of the controller/VFD.

And DITTO to what John said about the advantages of a VFD. :)

Back