New Skinner going Elk hunting

Is that an orange liner I see peeking out? I like that knife. Well done. Did you finish the micarta with anything or just sand a cleaned it?

It is .060" orange G-10 liners and black canvas micarta the handles are just sanded and wiped down to leave grippy. The blade is A2 with Bos heat treat to 60RC with mustard patina and hand jimping along the spine. A friend at work said it was the most comfortable knife he has ever held.

It is .060" orange G-10 liners and black canvas micarta the handles are just sanded and wiped down to leave grippy. The blade is A2 with Bos heat treat to 60RC with mustard patina and hand jimping along the spine. A friend at work said it was the most comfortable knife he has ever held.
The reason I asked is that Ed gave me some advice on micarta handles that I have found to be helpful. Micarta by itself will pick up dirt and grease from your hand (blood from an animal, fat etc) and discolor. Ed told me to put one thin layer of tru oil on a canvass micarta handle and it will keep this from occurring and you will not notice it is there. Since he said that I have only completed one micarta handle knife and I put a THIN layer on it and I liked the results. It has not discolored...yet. Just thought I would mention it since hopefully yours will soon see an animal.

I was going to do that on this knife I have done it in the past. Thanks for the input .

Back