New to Bolsters

Diamond G Knives

Well I cant say Im NEW to them, just haven't done them in a long time.
Whats the most popular route?

Drill thru the bolster and thru the blade, then taper ream the bolster to get a good shoulder for the pin to swell into?

Also Ive always silver soldered in the past, Ive read where folks were using JB weld. Any issues with a black line from the JB?

Im planning on using 304 stainless, will ordering 304 flat and pins from the same supplier help to keep the pins from showing? Guess Im asking is all 304 the same?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Hay Mike, use the orig. JB-it's gray.
Don't forget to oversize your holes through the blade.
When I get mine peened, I give each side a couple good hits to swell the shank inside. Haven't had any trouble {unless I get careless}
Jerry

Mike I drill my blade first,the use a small drop of super glue to attach one side of the bloster,then drill through it,use a nother drop of super glue to attach the other and drill back through.That way all holes line up.Then a small rap on the vice and the bolster fall off.I then put pins in the bolsters and shape the fronts and polish then square the backs and then attach to the knife.I also use the orig.JB wels.just a very small amount.
Stan

Mike I drill my blade first,the use a small drop of super glue to attach one side of the bloster,then drill through it,use a nother drop of super glue to attach the other and drill back through.That way all holes line up.Then a small rap on the vice and the bolster fall off.I then put pins in the bolsters and shape the fronts and polish then square the backs and then attach to the knife.I also use the orig.JB wels.just a very small amount.
Stan

Same method here.

I do basically the same but am with the guys that use the tapered reamer on the bolster. I also hand sand the inside of the bolster on flat plate to make sure all burrs and the drilling process hasn't put any bulges on the bolster. I leave the pins about 1/8 inch proud on a 3/32 pin material. I then take it to my pin press which has twocupped dies tomushroom the head of the pin. I do still smack it a couple of times with a small hammer. I hold the bolsters in place with two small needle nosed vice grips so they won't shift fromthe pressure. Works for me.

I use 416ss and drill thru and use pin press i made(20 ton) and silver solder front edge.
022-10.jpg

023-10.jpg

024-8.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-7.jpg

032-5.jpg

Mike, If you use JB Weld make sure you don't get any of it in your pin holes it will leave a dark ring around the finished pins. Don't ask me how I know.

Dave - Im interested in where'd you get those "vice-grip" style clamps in the photo? I need me some of them...

A trick for JB-Weld is to add some atomized metal available from Brownells to color match the JB to the bolster/blade.Also,use 400 series SS as it is easily engravable and many engravers,me included,wont touch 300 series SS.

I silver solder my bolisters and guards, then soft solder the front as it is easy to clean up, and it seals up so water cant get in.

Back